First Batch - Uh oh! Made a Boo-Boo.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
Everything went perfect from start to pitching the yeast - except one thing. I read my thermometer wrong for the temp to soak the grain in. Instead of 155 degrees F, I read the Celcius side and actually soaked the grain at 130 degrees F. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until I got a wort reading of 1.046 instead of the 1.053 that I was supposed to get. I went ahead and pitched the yeast and set it up to ferment. Only then did I run down to Austin Homebrew Supply to see what difference this would make. :eek:

The man behind the counter shreiked - NOOOOOOOOO! YOU RUINED IT!!!!
I fell to the ground, praying that the brew gods would not strike me dead and begged the man to show mercy.:eek:

Actually, he said that it would taste watered down, ferment time would be less, it would carbonate higher, it would be ready after bottleing in a week instead of three and the alcholol content would be less.

Is this sooth?

Was this All-grain? I'm surprised to see this much of a difference in expected vs. actual SG. Usually the steepeed grains don't contribute to much. Or did you forget to mix it well after topping of with water and before taking the sample for gravity?

But yes, what the guy said is true. Just make the same batch again (doing it right) and compare later. That's what I did for my 1st (Pipe Cleaner Pale Ale) and 2nd (Try It Again Pale Ale) batch.:)

Kai

you got yourself a session brew! nothing to go get pissed on, but good for a night of lies and grubbing.

it'll be okay....

Prowler 13 said:
Everything went perfect from start to pitching the yeast - except one thing. I read my thermometer wrong for the temp to soak the grain in. Instead of 155 degrees F, I read the Celcius side and actually soaked the grain at 130 degrees F. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until I got a wort reading of 1.046 instead of the 1.053 that I was supposed to get. I went ahead and pitched the yeast and set it up to ferment. Only then did I run down to Austin Homebrew Supply to see what difference this would make. :eek:

The man behind the counter shreiked - NOOOOOOOOO! YOU RUINED IT!!!!
I fell to the ground, praying that the brew gods would not strike me dead and begged the man to show mercy.:eek:

Actually, he said that it would taste watered down, ferment time would be less, it would carbonate higher, it would be ready after bottleing in a week instead of three and the alcholol content would be less.

Is this sooth?

He WAY Overstated what all would be wrong. Since this is your 1st batch I would assume this to be a kit and the grains were for steeping purposes and you then added either dry or liquid malt afterwards and boiled correct? It's been a while since I used extract and steep (I do all grain) but I'm pretty sure that the steep process was for extracting the flavor and color of the grains for the recipe and didn't add to the fermentable sugars whatsoever. Others will agree/dispute this but I think I'm correct. If I got this right, maybe the flavor would be not quite to desired style but his statement of fermenting time less; carbonate higher; ready in the bottle sooner and ABV all would be false. You've simply missed the mark on the flavor but it'll be beer and probably pretty good as well.

DeRoux's Broux said:
you got yourself a session brew! nothing to go get pissed on, but good for a night of lies and grubbing.

it'll be okay....

:p :p LOL, Deroux

I didn't know that Texas was on the east side of the Atlantic!

loop

To backup my comments. From www.howtobrew.com about steeping grains:

Steeping differs from mashing in that there is no enzyme activity taking place to convert grain or adjunct starches to sugars.

Your 1.046 vs target of 1.053 isn't that out of wack either. I miss either by being higher or lower than recipe OG all the time in the range you experienced.

desertBrew said:
Your 1.046 vs target of 1.053 isn't that out of wack either. I miss either by being higher or lower than recipe OG all the time in the range you experienced.
Also may need to be temperature adjusted depending on how warm your wort was when you took the reading.

Thanks all,
I feel better now. My deep dispare, dark depression and abject misery are over. I will know the full story in a few weeks I guess.

Yes, to answer the question - it was 7.5 lbs of extract with 1.25 lbs of specialty grains. A lot of color came out of the grains anyway so we will see. I will definately let you all know how it turns out.

That's the great thing about homebrew... you can do something completely wrong (aside from sanitation) and even though it won't be what you were hoping for, it will still be beer.

Relax and have a homebrew...

In five years of brewing, I've hit the exact SG once. Consider a 5.0 gallon wort at 1.048 has the same amount of sugars, etc. as a 5.0 gallon wort at 1.053 Even an extra quart shifts it 2-3 points. If you want to be compulsive about SG, keep a bag of extra light DME around & cheat.

Yeah if this was not an all grain (to which I have no clue about by the way) you should be fine. In a grain seep you don't want the grain to boil. Right before the boil you take the grains out and continue on your merry way.

Back