perlick faucets - chrome OK? or need SS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am no expert but everything I have been reading ranks the 525SS above the Pearl faucet. They are very close in price from what I have seen so it is worth it.

fwiw, Perlick uses the name "Perl" for the entire 500 series faucet line, whether PC (plated chrome) or SS (stainless steel).

Having taken one of my 525SS faucets completely apart just to see how they work, I would expect the PC version to function absolutely identically.

To me, the choice comes down to whether one finds the full stainless faucet appealing enough to cover the typical $15 premium over the PC version. I did - times six - because I really do dig the timelessness of stainless steel verses any potential of shedding chrome plating, whether due to age, or "oops"...

Cheers!

What about the creamer version 575? Don't think it comes in PC, but is it worth the few extra $$$

Never used a creamer faucet, so I really don't have much of a say here. The creamer faucet is designed to force the beer through tiny holes (or hole?) to create the foam for the head when the handle is pushed backward.
That being said, with the regular Perlicks, I would think that simply opening the faucet part-way to simulate the small opening would perform the same task. This is what I have been doing with my non-creamer Perlicks, and it seems to work ok for me.

Yup, that's the current model...

Cheers!

Thanks, I guess scratch what I said earlier then. I thought the new model was the Pearl and the 525SS was the old one. If you look at the reviews there were several people saying that they were having issues with leaking and they were saying how the old ones were better. I wish they would have stated the Perlick part number in the description somewhere. A buddy was looking at them when telling me what I should get and said that they were not the Perlicks that he had. He must be used to the old design. I remembered reading about different spouts with the Perlicks. That must be what he was looking for and didn't see as he likely has the old version.

He may have the Perlick 425. Those ones had a removable spout and, from what I hear, seem to be built a bit more "rugged". Those are discontinued from Perlick as far as I know, but they can still be found if you look hard enough.

I just bought 7 of the 525ss and I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I have 8 standard faucets which work fine and 6 of them are chrome. I would assume that the perlicks are the same construction just SS vs chrome plated which would justify the price difference. I can't wait for them to arrive! I would have went with the chrome but I like stainless steel and I want these to last a long time on the keezer.

I could be wrong, but I think the older design was designated 425 (with SS & PC models). Along with a removable spout, it had a separate sliding closure mechanism that engaged with the handle lever, as opposed to the closure "ball" integrated in the 525 handle lever.

fwiw, I think you can still find 425SS faucets for sale if you look around enough...

Cheers!

[edit: Whoops! I was really slow on the draw this time ;) ]

As far as leaking, I believe the original run of the 525s had a seal/leaking issue that had been fixed by Perlick and any that you get now shouldn't leak.

xsists said:
As far as leaking, I believe the original run of the 525s had a seal/leaking issue that had been fixed by Perlick and any that you get now shouldn't leak.

I haven't seen anything official to this effect though, so I'm a bit wary.

And now to go slightly :off:-topic...

Is there any downside to getting all 575s instead of 525s, besides the expense? Are they harder to clean, or less durable, or something else I should be aware of? If the only disadvantage is the price, I might just deal with the extra cost, because I know I wouldn't mind the creamer option for some brews, and I tend to be anal about keeping everything consistent... basically, if I get one 575, I'd rather make them all 575s (the only exception being a nitro stout tap). But if there's a reason I might prefer the 525 instead, I'd like to know about it before I commit.

Thanks. I'll hang up now and listen to your answer.

Is there any downside to getting all 575s instead of 525s, besides the expense? Are they harder to clean, or less durable, or something else I should be aware of? If the only disadvantage is the price, I might just deal with the extra cost, because I know I wouldn't mind the creamer option for some brews, and I tend to be anal about keeping everything consistent... basically, if I get one 575, I'd rather make them all 575s (the only exception being a nitro stout tap). But if there's a reason I might prefer the 525 instead, I'd like to know about it before I commit.

Thanks. I'll hang up now and listen to your answer.

I have a friend who has the 575s, and there's inevitably one drunk person at every party that pushes back too far when closing at the end of a pour, which makes for a lot of spilled beer. I don't brew many beers that would benefit from the creamer feature, and went with 525s for reduced risk of bumping faucets open and/or guests making a mess. People make enough of a mess when using my keezer as it is.

JuanMoore said:
I have a friend who has the 575s, and there's inevitably one drunk person at every party that pushes back too far when closing at the end of a pour, which makes for a lot of spilled beer. I don't brew many beers that would benefit from the creamer feature, and went with 525s for reduced risk of bumping faucets open and/or guests making a mess. People make enough of a mess when using my keezer as it is.

I don't generally have drunk people hanging out at my place. In fact, I probably drink less, personally, than 99% of the people on this site. Either way, a bit of waste isn't a big deal to me, and it doesn't sound like anything a drained drip tray can't handle.

It's not difficult to close the 575s properly, is it? I mean, I assume there's some sort of tactile feedback telling you that you've closed the faucet and haven't gone too far, such as increased force needed to push the tap past the "close" point. In other words, I would think a sober person should generally be able to close the tap even if they were blindfolded, as you should be able to "feel" when it's closed, and when you're going past that point. Is this correct, or does it require sight (or possibly even sound) to properly operate?

The creamer feature is honestly not something I expect to use much myself, but it's the kind of feature that I would actually have more for guests than anything else, whether they get a kick out of it or just can't otherwise pour themselves the foam they want (be it due to a lack of the necessary chemistry, or just plain skill).

I'm more worried about whether the more complex design makes it significantly harder to clean or less reliable. I've already invested in 250' of barrier tubing, so I'd like to keep the rest of the system equally neutral and flushable from batch to batch.

I have 2 of the 525PC faucets, and a buddy of mine has 3 of them, they work great.

Will they last forever like the stainless ones will? Probably not, but they work great, they're a huge step up from standard faucets that aren't forward sealing, and they're dirt cheap (mine were $17 ea)

I have 2 of the 525PC faucets, and a buddy of mine has 3 of them, they work great.

Will they last forever like the stainless ones will? Probably not, but they work great, they're a huge step up from standard faucets that aren't forward sealing, and they're dirt cheap (mine were $17 ea)

Scott, where did you get yours? I see $20+ most places

If there is not much price difference get the stainless. It will last for a long time and if you decide to sell it , it will me desirable. I have 7 perlick creamer 575ss, 6 purchased 2 years ago, one 3 months ago. Only differee i see is the p on the new one is engraved vs a mold. They all work very good.

I have 4 575ss faucets and I love them. I used the creamer feature on some stouts before I hooked up my stout faucet and system. I have yet to try the perlick faucets on the stout system, but I don't see why they wouldn't work very similar to a stout faucet.

it doesn't sound like anything a drained drip tray can't handle.

If you do push back and have a glass there for a pour, you only will get a spray into your glass. If a person is pouring, then they should have a glass under there so I am not sure why you would get a spray all over (never happened to me). It wouldn't be any significant amount of beer either since the creamer restricts flow.

you have to use the tap a couple times to see how they work, sort of a soft hand bringing then back to the closing point. However - if you or your friends can't figure out how to close these faucets I would be shocked. My wife uses them and my friends as well - no people or beer was harmed.

It's not difficult to close the 575s properly, is it?

Easy to close, you do it by feel - there is a spring resistance on the creamer part. i.e. when you pres back into teh creamer feature it springs back towards you to close. What I do is press the creamer then pull toward me full open and back to center to close. If I pour a regular beer you never have to use the creamer. Simply pull forward and push back to center close.

The creamer feature is honestly not something I expect to use much myself
Agree - but IMO, better to have it in case you need it than not.

I'm more worried about whether the more complex design makes it significantly harder to clean or less reliable. I've already invested in 250' of barrier tubing, so I'd like to keep the rest of the system equally neutral and flushable from batch to batch.

The creamer design is not complex at all and easy to use and clean. You do so just like you would clean any perlick faucets.

The only difference in the design is the handle lever assembly and bearing cup: it isn't letting me post the link, so use the below with www
http://www .perlick.com/store/webcatalog2.php?catno=1&sectno=1&grpno=3

I have had two of my taps for over a year and never had any issues with teh creamer feature not working or the faucets being faulty (just bought two more a few weeks ago). I cleaned them with concentrated PBW soaks about three times total and never took them fully apart until I just did my reinstall - the taps were immaculate.

Back