cider sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gargon

Reaction score
Got a 5 gallon batch with safeale 05 that I pitched last night woke up and had a sulfur smell. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

What type of cider/juice did you use?

Did you make any additions other than yeast?

I believe it should go away over time, but hard to be sure without knowing exactly what went into it.

It will likely go away over time. Apples have alot of sulfur compounds in them, or the yeast coverts something in them into hydrogen Sulfide gas(rotten egg smell). I started a cider on Saturday and Monday when I opend the Fermentation freezer to check on it I got blasted by Satans butthole. As of today its alot better hehe.

I used campden tabs and pectic enzymes. Along with 1 lb brown sugar and wyeast nutrition.

The campden tablets are probably the reason for your sulfur smell.

If you are using pasteurized cider I see no reason for using campden tablets. I use raw cider and I still don't use campden, I haven't had any horrible infections yet.

The smell/taste will go away over time.

ETA: It's going to get worse before it gets better!

Gotcha thanks for info, it was unpasturized cider the HB shop recommend them and being my first cider I just got em. I'm Glad to hear it will go away thanks for the fast response

Back