Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

Reaction score
What was I thinking????? :( I can't believe that I actually dumped the sugar straight into my bottling bucket without dissolving it first. :confused: I mixed it really well to get it moving around to help evenly distribute it. Any ideas how my carbonization will turn out? I guess that it will either take a long time tocarb up or it will not at all. Any guesses from the masters???? I used the priming sugar that was supplied in my kit from the LHBS.

Honestly I think you boil the priming sugar for the most part to sanitize it... If you mixed it well I dont see a huge issue. Some bottles may be slightly more carb'd then others. Think about those cooper carbonation tablets. Those are just glorified sugar cubes that break down when bottled with beer. Relax and will be fine!

You will probably notice variation in carbonation as mentioned.

Dissolving the priming sugar is necessary to uniformly distribute the sugar in the wort. Just do this from now on.

Your current batch will still taste good.

I'd watch out for beer bombs. I had a glass bottle bottom blow last week, so I bought a couple of bussing tubs and sat my bottles in them while they carbed, and placed bed pillow covers over them. Luckily only one blew, so there was less of a mess to clean up.

The main thing I'd be worried about is oxidization of the fermented beer if you mixed the sugar violently in your attempt to dissolve it. Otherwise, the advice you've received above is sound. Don't worry too much. There are much worse rookie mistakes. It'll probably be just fine. Best of luck.

Was there undissolved sugar in the bottom when you finished bottling?

I did not notice any undissolved sugar nor did I violently stir to mix. Extra and overoxidation was carefully prevented.

I will protect myself from the bottle bombs though.

Thanks for the advice. :rockin:

If you mixed it well you will be fine. I've done it plenty of times. Varied carbonation levels, maybe.... but other than that you'll be fine. The beer is already fermented, so the alcohol should take care of the sanitation factor.

Back