Cider Bottle Color- Brown v. Green v. Clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veinman

Reaction score
Generally I like to bottle my cider in clear bottles for 2 reasons:
1. I have made multiple flavors and its easy to distinguish apple cider from cranberry from blueberry from hard limeade.
2. Its the best use I've found for the large amount of clear beer bottles I've accumulated from friends.

Is there anything wrong with bottling Cider in clear bottles? I know beer goes in brown bottles to minimize light exposure as UV rays skunk hops, obviously cider doesn't have hops but are their are considerations? Discoloration came to mind as a possible concern but I have no evidence that it would occur. For what its worth I keep my bottled cider in a windowless room that only sees light when I'm in the room to grab beer or a mop.

Ciders, meads, and white wines can get "light struck" which changes the flavor, but it's not skunky like hops. More like a brownish color, with flavors sort of like sherry.

In a windowless room, it's not an issue at all! I bottle many of wines/meads/ciders in clear bottles because I love looking at them. As long as you keep them out of direct light, it's fine!

Back