StarSan fear (rather, don't fear)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
I used StarSan for the first time a week ago to bottle my brown ale, and certainly had that gut instinct of, "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO PUT BEER IN THOSE FOAMY BOTTLES ARE YOU?!?!"

You work so hard to formulate recipes, mash just right, ferment at good temps, and then to put it on the foam is unnerving despite how many stories and pictures you've read/seen. Anyway, I fought through it and didn't listen to that voice in my head telling me to rinse.

So is there a term in homebrewing for "fearing the foam?"

' So is there a term in homebrewing for "fearing the foam?" '

Yes, 'Paranoid'. :D

Foam is your friend!

In the rational part of my head, I love the foam. I know it actually becomes yeast nutrient and won't affect the beer. But the irrational, emotional attachment I have is there is no way this can be good. Luckily, I used the former instead of the latter when bottling.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but on my last batch I accidentally left about 1/2 gallon of starsan solution in my fermenter and put 5 1/2 gallons of bitter on top of it and pitched the yeast. I ferment in a 1/4 bbl sanke and noticed that it looked a little too full and realized what I had done :eek:. I decided to let it ferment an see how it would turn out. It fermented like crazy an actually turned out really good, just slightly watered down. I don't plan on ever doing that again, but I'm glad it turned out OK.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I heard the phrase "don't fear the foam" way before I ever started using StarSan and I've never had a problem with it. I have never had any problems with the foam (subconsciously). Although, I will admit that I do try to shake as much foam out of my fermenters/kegs as I can, but that's just so the beer won't displace it and put foam all over my floor.

I had that same moment last night when I was making a starter for this week's English ale. When I checked this morning, the yeasties took the foam and threw a big party!

I know it's supposed to be OK. but I still try and get as much out as possible.
I always hear how you don't want to introduce oxygen into your
beer, and can't help but thinking about those star san bubbles. I mean they must be filled with air which is a no good for beer.
So when I fill a keg I take a spoon and scoop out the foam off the top before I put the lid on.
so call me paranoid

I know it's supposed to be OK. but I still try and get as much out as possible.
I always hear how you don't want to introduce oxygen into your
beer, and can't help but thinking about those star san bubbles. I mean they must be filled with air which is a no good for beer.
So when I fill a keg I take a spoon and scoop out the foam off the top before I put the lid on.
so call me paranoid

How about rather than being ignorantly paranoid, you be informed about it....it's not that hard to do, there's a ton of info all over the place how starsan is good for the beer. The foam is not going to introduce oxygen.

If you actually listened to the i-view with Chuck Talley the inventor of Starsan, and hear him describe the goals he set forth in making it,and how to use it effectively.
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

How about rather than being ignorantly paranoid, you be informed about it....it's not that hard to do, there's a ton of info all over the place how starsan is good for the beer. The foam is not going to introduce oxygen.

If you actually listened to the i-view with Chuck Talley the inventor of Starsan, and hear him describe the goals he set forth in making it,and how to use it effectively.

I swear Revvy, you have a video clip or an audio byte that applies to ANYTHING discussed on this forum!

OK Maybe me saying "call me paranoid" wasn't quite accurate. I really don't freak about it but,
I just can't see the point in leaving a couple of inches of foam on top of the beer when I can scoop it out.
I understand that if it does have any effect it would probably be negligible. But explain to me how the air in star san bubbles won't introduce oxygen into the beer? I mean there is air in the foam the foams in the beer , so the air is in the beer. :confused:
I have listened to the Charlie Talley interview, and I don't recall him mentioning this. Maybe I am wrong.

Back