trying to make a raspberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101DDD

Reaction score
Hello all...I'm a noob :eek: to the home brewing scene and I've settled on partial mashing with 2 Mr. Beer fermenters right now. I'm only three batches in experience-wise and my carpool buddy is on vacation. So I turn to you fine folks for advice.

I pulled a recipe from BeerTools for a raspberry wheat. Scaling it down to the Mr. Beer size (2.11 gals), and adapting to what was available at the store, here's what I got:
1 lb Flaked Wheat
.4 oz German Tettnanger pellets (5.5% AA) - 60 min
.2 oz Palisade pellets (6.5% AA) - 15 min

Yeast: Danstar Windsor Dry Yeast (I'm not to keen on buying 5 gallons worth of liquid yeast)

.5 lbs Raspberries will be added during secondary

So, what do you think? Will it turn out okay? :confused:

Also, I've never used the flaked wheat before. Can I just steep it like I do the Crystal and 2-Row? I've heard things of starches. Any advice on the fruit?

Typical noob, many questions....

Thanks!!! :mug:

Unless you are doing a partial mash the 2row will do you no good. It cannot be steeped to gain gravity points. Crystal should be steeped.

he stated he is doing a partial mash, as for fruit addition I would up it to 2 lbs in secondary, I have had very good luck with 1lb/gallon fruit to beer ratio

When I use flaked wheat in my recipes, I mash it as I would any other grain., where in WI you at? I have a cabin in the northwoods, in Eagle River.
Welcome to the forums BTW:mug:

So, what's the difference between mashing and steeping? Is it just rinsing off the grains? That's all I can find perusing web pages.

Good advice on the fruit. I've heard 1/4 lb to 1 gallon liquid for raspberries. Does the rest of the recipe look appropriate?

It also sounds like I need to let this bad boy condition for a little longer than normal. Oh well....it'll be an end of summer beer. :ban:

azscoob, I'm just outside Madison.

So, what's the difference between mashing and steeping? Is it just rinsing off the grains? That's all I can find perusing web pages.

Good advice on the fruit. I've heard 1/4 lb to 1 gallon liquid for raspberries. Does the rest of the recipe look appropriate?

It also sounds like I need to let this bad boy condition for a little longer than normal. Oh well....it'll be an end of summer beer. :ban:

azscoob, I'm just outside Madison.

I see no reason why that beer would need lots of time to condition. It should be good to drink right after the fruit is done fermenting in the secondary.

Mash is just like steeping except you hold it at a precise temp for a longer period of time. The temp effects the fermentability of the wort. You also need something like 2-row base malt to do a mash. There are enzymes in the 2-row that will convert the barley starches into sugars at the mash temps.

Mainly temperature and 2-row: mashing is limited to the 149-158F range.

1/2 lbs in your recipe is in line with commercial raspberry wheats. As a note, McMenamins boils the berries briefly to produce a peptic haze in the beer.

If your using fresh fruit you may want to blanch them with a quick boil to kill off any bacteria and wild yeast living on the berries.

OR

Use Oregon brand fruit puree in the secondary.

OR

Skip the secondary and use a fruit flavor extract at bottling.

maida7, I'll be using fresh fruit (the neighbor is giving the stuff away :rockin:), but I will probably blanch them somehow. I know boiling takes away some of the aroma. And as for how long to condition? I'll leave a few hanging around to see how it is with a bit more time.

I've also got the 2-row there, and I read an awesome method of mashing small batches using your boil pot and your oven. As long as temp is the only issue for mashing....I think I'm cool. Iodine to check, though, right?

if your adding fresh fruit to the secondary the alcohol will help protect the beer from infection. But if it was me, I'd still steam them or boil the fruit for a few minutes. The fruit is covered in wild yeast that if it gets going in your beer will make it super sour.

Don't be a afraid to do the mash. If you use a fine mesh bag and a thermometer it should be very easy. :rockin:

Okay...I know I'm acting all panicky, I just don't want to waste this. :confused:

So, by mashing, that's just dumping the grains in water that's at a constant 155 temp for 60 minutes or so, then straining and rinsing with sparge water, correct?

On my last batch (an oatmeal stout), I put all the grains in a nylon bag before placing it in the 155 degree water. Then I dumped 170 water over it after an hour. Is that an okay method (easy there, purists....)?

On my last batch (an oatmeal stout), I put all the grains in a nylon bag before placing it in the 155 degree water. Then I dumped 170 water over it after an hour. Is that an okay method (easy there, purists....)?

Yep that's it! That's the mash

Wicked! That's why I love Fridays, everyone is willing to help and no one expects you to get work done.

Thanks all! Thanks maida7! :tank:

Just don't pack the bag tight. The mash water needs to be able to move around a little.

Latest posts

Back