My Hop Trellis - Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about connecting two strings at the ground where the hops are and then making a v shape by tieing them off apart from one another on the support rope above and then training two bines per vertical string. It would give you better air flow and you would be able to get more foliage exposed to more direct sun light that woudl dry the leaves quicker and alow for more photosynthetic activity

Yeah, you do have room for more that one rope per plant. And like what was stated above, it would probably be better for the plant.
I see that, that video was from last year. How has it held up over the last year? Did those sleeves work them selves loose from the wind?
Nice job.

The video in the OP of this thread is from 2009. Here's one from this year...

I did double the lines per plant in a V, so far so good.

uechikid, it's still a go on the poles into the sleeves. Keep in mind that I have major clay/shale soil so a pole driven 2 feet deep is really sturdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed Bobby's project to build a somple trellis. I did the sleeves in the ground thing, since I had some leftover pipes from a light fixture. I put 2 poles in the ground (10 feet high), and extended the top part a bit (wood).
So far so good. I hope the wind wont blow too hard this summer....

Here is my version of Booby's trellis design. Simple and effective. Thanks Bobby for sharing.

b1e803a3.jpg

The picture is from early June. My Cascade just breached the top of the trellis. (15ft). Got to go bigger next year.

Hey Bobby,
My first year hops a going gang-busters on the trellis (your design). I am curious how harvest time goes. I have 5 different varieties growing, strung to the common top line. It is safe to assume that they will not all be ready to harvest at the same time. Have you had success releasing tension from the top line to gain access to the ready for harvest varieties and them re-tensioning the top line until the next variety is ready, etc.

Please advise your experience when harvest time comes. Thanks! P.S. I still owe you that package!

I've had the horizontal dropped to about 5 feet off the ground and pulled back up tight a few times this year already. It helps to release about 5 feet of line per side at a time to let it come down evenly.

Bobby,

You are a genius! I set up a trellis like you outlined in your video. I just harvested my hops with great ease. I simply loosened the tension on the top line until it lowered to withing safe reach from a ladder. Worked perfectly.

Thanks for all you do.

Rick

Cool, glad it worked well. I've lowered mine 4 times already since there's a huge delay between harvest times.The cones way up top are always ready early for me. I have enough line coming down from the horizontals that I can lower it all the way to the ground and still be able to pull it back tight. I added some awesome rope tensioning doohickies this year that I found by the rope in Lowes. I can't find a picture online to show you.

I am planning on replacing the eyebolts with pulleys next year. I found it a bit tough to re-tension the trellis with the load on the top line. There was a scary-huge bow in the upright until I gave the bines some manual lift. I think the pulley will do the trick. P.S. The hops did so good this first year that I am planning on doubling my hop yard next year!

P.S. check out this bad boy! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/hows-nugget-194642/#post2262015

Back