Water analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBrewCo

Reaction score
got my analysis from ward labs and according to palmers how to brew it looks like my water is really only suited for darker beers. The numbers are as follows (all in PPM)
PH-8.1
TDS-308
NA-28
K-1
CA-61
MG-14
Total hardness-211
Nitrate-1.0
Sulfate-9
Chloride-48
Carbonate-9
Bicarbonate-190
Total Alkalinity- 171
Iron- below detection limit

according to palmer my bicarbonate is too higher for pale ales and lighter beers of the like. My plan was to set up a R/O system and build my water profile from scratch, after reading into building water it seems like a daunting task and i have heard horror stories of salty brews from people who tried (and failed) to build water. My question is how can i lower my bicarbonate to acceptable levels without diluting my other minerals? or can somebody direct me to a thread or book or both that will teach me how to build my own mineral profile ?

I think you can just dilute your tap water to bring down the bicarbonate levels. Play around with the EZ spreadsheet. That one is very easy to use.

Latest posts

Back