Head Space ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will very soon be upgrading my capacity to do 10 to 13 gal batches from the 5 I've been doing, as well as making the jump to all grain. Also I've aquired some 6.5 gal carboys. My question is this- in general if I'm placing 5.5gal into a 6.5gal fermenter will that be suitable head space to avoid needing a blow off tube? I know that every beer will ferment different given the type of yeast, amount of hops, differences in grain bill, temp of fermentation, and so on. So i guess what I'm asking (if i can even word it this way) will that be ok for the average fermentatio

theres literally no way to tell how each individual beer is going to krausen, its one of those things in brewing thats totally unpredictable. I think some people use something called fermcap in the boil that will also reduce the krausen. You just hafta brew the beer and then treat each individual situation as it comes.

Why not just install a blowoff tube on every beer the first couple days of fermentation anyways. Just have yourself a couple blowoffs without them and you will make it a standard practice like most of us have now.

Yeah, I have used the blow off tube method, I just don't like losing the fermentables, hop resins, ect. when they do blow off. Plus I'm always worried that there will be that one bit of dirt that I miss when I clean the tube, and thus spoil my next batch. Guess my question is a bit impossible to answer.

Back