So I have 5 gallons of apple juice, any good recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
So I have 5 gallons of apple juice and an empty carboy. I want to make a cider, but last time I tried to make a cider (5 gallons of apple juice and 3 lbs DME and a dry ale yeast. I heated 1/2 gallon of the juice to like 180* and dissolved the DME in that) it turned out really sour when I bottled it. Hopefully it will taste better after a few months in the bottle.

The point is does any one have a good cider recipe that I could use 5 gallons of apple juice with.

Thanks

your juice + how ever many cans of concentrate you want (to up abv) + s04 yeast.

If the apple juice is in sealed store bought containers, empty them into the carboy, rehydrate dried nottingham yeast in 110 degree water until it gets a little frothy, and pitch it into the juice. Give it a good shake and wait two to three weeks.

Honestly, I've tried a bunch of other recipes that add sugar, concentrates, fruit, unicorns, and none of them turn out as good as Motts juice and Nottingham. Just let the yeast do it's thing, it will give you all the extra flavor you want without scrubbing out all the apple flavor from the juice. I measure my juice at about 1.050 without additional sugar, and the notty takes my cider down to 1.008 fairly easily, giving you 5.6% abv (which I find nice and drinkable, and the swmbo finds dangerously good ;) )

+1 on juice and notty.

this is a base cider you will really like. Then you can adjust it however you like.

Apple juice and DME will give you a very tart drink and it takes about 2 months for the tart to die down.

You can counter that tart by steeping a half pound of crystal 60L in a couple quarts of water and adding that to the juice before fermentation......or you can just wait a while.

i just tried this. the apfelwein ABV is just too damn high... dangerous. i used mostly apple juice and tossed in a small 2 quart bottle of cranberry juice also. how long are you guys letting it ferment out? is it like apfelwine in that you have you let it go for like 4 weeks? seems to me like the yeast are dropping out faster in this version, but wanted to see what you're experiences have been.

+1 for opening the juice and adding yeast! No sugar! It just bumps up the alcohol content which then masks the cider flavor. Though, you might add some pectic enzyme to help it clear later.

Back