Bucket lids suck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
Well tonight while I was organizing my homebrew equipment I was inspecting my bottling bucket and bucket fermenter and lids. I made sure they fit snug and the seals were in good shape and then when I started to peel them off I started thinking to myself there has got to be an easier way to remove these lids without breaking my fingers! So my question is, has anybody figured out a way to easily install and remove plastic bucket lids?

have you cut out the perforations around the side of the lid? there are usually a bunch of "thin vertical lines" on the very outside circumfrence of the plastic lid. some products purchased in plastic pails require that these perforations be cut to remove the lid although it is not necessary to cut them on all lids, it may make removal easyer. i have not cut mine, as i fear this will interfear with the seal. it probably wont, but i dont mind the extra effort.

I cover my fermentor with plastic wrap. As soon as primary fermentation dies down, I rack to secondary, which is a better bottle.

mcody2005 said:
have you cut out the perforations around the side of the lid? there are usually a bunch of "thin vertical lines" on the very outside circumfrence of the plastic lid. some products purchased in plastic pails require that these perforations be cut to remove the lid although it is not necessary to cut them on all lids, it may make removal easyer. i have not cut mine, as i fear this will interfear with the seal. it probably wont, but i dont mind the extra effort.

I have not cut perforations because of the same reason. I don't want to ruin the airtight seal. I am going to look into one of the bucket opening tools, I didnt know they made those.

I got a blue plastic bucket opener at Lowes or Home Depot for a buck and had to shave the claw down a little with a file to hook the edge properly on a food bucket / fermenter. Still, not bad for a dollar and it pops open a lid as easy as nothing.

I can't stand those lids... I only brewed once with my plastic bucket fermenters... I went out the next day and bought carboys... if theres a better way to get them off I may have to get those buckets out of the closet...

Jester

I have never used this tool, but one of it's listed features is
"• Cuts lid flanges on plastic buckets safely without a knife"
I think this is what i was talking about earlier. not sure if it will work without cutting flanges. anyone out there with one of these have any input?

*Just my 2 cents*

The rubbersealed twist top buckets with a locking device works great, and If I am not mistaking they are 6.5 gl.

Buckets were bought from McMasterCarr.com

They ar foodgrade

4538-DSCN1092.JPG

4538-DSCN1094.JPG

Pretty cool idea at first blush, however, if that little airlock hole ever got clogged during primary fermentation, I imagine that entire bucket might explode (or at least tear open).

Just a thought...

:drunk:

Jester4176 said:
Another option is these:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gamma_seal_lids_gamma_lid_products.asp

For $9, it may be worth it to you.
You beat me to it, I will match your 9 and lower you 1.65 :D - I think this is the source for your source...seen these once upon a time and thought of trying them but figured once a couple weeks it's good to get frustrations out and wrestle those lids off, but the words that can come out of my mouth at the time...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...e=USPlastic&category_name=24&product_id=20669

Spyk'd said:
Pretty cool idea at first blush, however, if that little airlock hole ever got clogged during primary fermentation, I imagine that entire bucket might explode (or at least tear open).

Just a thought...

:drunk:

Hmmmm...I would say that if the hole is clogged the pressure would most likely push the ailock out and exit through the small hole.

Besides, If everything went ok (which it did) when fermiting my stout (OG- 1.076) I think I am ok. The airlock was boiling too, loved it, just wished I had it in glass to see the show.

But yes it is a good thought and damn, can you imagine the sound of a bucket exploding in your closet:rockin:

I say get a carboy 6 gal. My lhbs swears by them and will not sell plastic to anyone who wants to brew beer.(personally I think hes mildly crazy) They have worked great for me. But they really suck to clean compared to a scratch free bucket but they will always have a tight seal.

I always wanted carboys so I bought em'. Bucket is going to be my bottling bucket, just needs to be drilled.

That said it looks like the tools will work...

Ize

TUCK said:
But yes it is a good thought and damn, can you imagine the sound of a bucket exploding in your closet:rockin:

Not in my closet, my laundry room and yes I can imagine.:cross:

The holes can get clogged and do. My bucket lid was blown completely off. My wife didn't really see the humor in it at 2am. These things always seems to happen in the middle of the night. Like the time I left my compressor plugged in and it kicked in around 1am...

Once again, no humor.

:D

Of course a blow off tube might help, but then again, the diameter of the hole is the stumbling block here.

Pumbaa said:
1 word (with a bunch of extra characters so I dont get a you didnt post enuff error . . . ok that should be enuff)

carboys
I have carboys but they are full.:ban:

Thanks for all the input. Picked up a lid opener today for 98 cents. Works like a champ.

i just use a flat head screw driver right at the area where the notch is. pry up and around one at a time and voila, off it comes. added plus, you probably already have one laying around the house.

i agree with not cutting the lid. i am afraid the seal may/would be compromised.

I sliced the notches in my fermenter lids after the owner of the LHBS suggested it. I was very careful to avoid cutting into the seal, and I've not had any problems so far with poor sealing when installed on the bucket. However, it made a HUGE difference in my ability to remove the darned lid!

I saw lids at the wal-mart for $1.58 or so but it didn't have a gasket. I guess that's why they charge 3x that amount at the LHBS. Any know where you could get a gasket?

BigBam said:
i just use a flat head screw driver right at the area where the notch is. pry up and around one at a time and voila, off it comes. added plus, you probably already have one laying around the house.

i agree with not cutting the lid. i am afraid the seal may/would be compromised.

No it shouldn't be compromised. They are made so they don't "pop" open in transit if they should fall over or get knocked about. I always just cut the bottom of the slit so I can get the lid off. The seal is inside the lid, not the outer edge.

The lid on your bucket is really just to keep stuff from getting/falling in and not much more. Once fermetation starts, you don't really need the lid at all. If you were to put it in a room with very little airflow, you could take the lid off and make it an open fermenter...

Germans have been doing it for hundreds of years...:mug:

Back