New Mead Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
I have been brewing beers for a while but I recently got into mead after tasting my first one. I did a cyser with 2 gal apple juice and 6 lbs of natural unprocessed honey. I pasteurised at 160 for 15 mins then colled and pitched my yeast (Wyest sweet mead). My OG was 1.120. My question is, is my OG to high or is that normal? The yeast seem to be doing their thing so no questions there. Also normally how long does it take to clear? I am looking for generalizations I know it will be months. I am hoping to have this one done around christmas to go with my Spiced Holiday Ale.

Your OG is about as high as you generally want to go with a mead. You can always step feed your fermentation to get a higher alcohol percentage but 1.120 is plenty high enough. Your mead may clear in 3-4 months, depending upon several variables, but that doesn't mean it's ready to drink - not by a long shot. The high OG means your mead is likely going to be hot for a long time and the higher the OG the longer it generally takes to be ready. Give it a year and it may be acceptable. If you want a quick drinking mead - say 4-5 months, make one with fruit or juice with an OG of about 1.080 and then backsweeten after fermentation is complete.

I can tell you that wyeast sweet mead yeast will stop at 13% ABV. this mead is going to be extremely sweet, maybe too sweet.
time will tell though.

Do I have a stuck fermentation?? My OG was 1.124 on a 3.5 gal cyser mead. I used wyeast sweet mead yeast, and that was it. I racked for the first time about a month ago and got a reading of 1.052 I though great!! went back today and it was still the same? Would adding yeast nutrient/energizer at this point hurt anything? or should I just try to resuspend some of the yeast??

Wyeast sweet mead yeast is notorious for being unreliable. As we noted above, your OG was quite high to begin with. Yeast has a hard time in such an environment and even reliable wine yeast struggles. My guess is that, yes, your fermentation has stalled. You might want to try repitching a good wine yeast such as Lalvin's EC 1118, D-47, or K1V 1116 or Red Star Cote Des Blancs, Premier Cuvee, or Pasteur Champagne . Good luck!

Let me also suggest that this late in fermentation (where you already have some significant ethanol in the must), you take care to acclimate the new yeast to its intended environment before you pitch it. Otherwise the shock from pitching into an alcoholic must can kill the new yeasties. Hightest has a great FAQ on restarting stuck fermentations. Check out the Sticky at the top of the Forum's Mead threads.

Mead takes at least a year to condition. Takes a lot of patience. :)

Crack a bottle open at the holidays if you like, but leave the rest. You won't be sorry.

it probably is stuck. my personal opinion is EC-1118 yeast. its good at unsticking fermentation, but I agree with making a starter to 'wake' it up so its not shocked when you drop it into a 10% alcohol solution :)

Back