First time cider questions: Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joker_x

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good cider recipe online and I've found this: http://www.stoutbillys.com/stout/recipens/(Flat)/5EE99DF6.htm which I thought looked pretty good. I've never made cider before and I wanted to ask a few questions before my first attempt. Would that be a good recipe, or should I try something else? The recipe says to raise your SG with sugar, would there be anything wrong with using honey to do this? Should I boil the sugar or honey before mixing with the cider? Is 1.060 a good SG for cider (I'm thinking I want to make it a dry cider)? Also, what would the different effects of using corn sugar or honey to raise SG in a cider, and is there a limit to how much honey one should use in a cider? Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers!
-Rick

Primary: Honey Amber Ale
Secondary #1: Octane IPA
Secondary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled/Drinking: American Amber Ale

for my 5 gallon batches, I usually put about 2 lbs of honey and about a cup of sugar. That brings the OG up to about 1.056 normally. Any more honey and you'd probably be making a cyser.

Latest posts

Back