Second guessing my Recipe Kit instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbbeyDubbel

Reaction score
So with the influx of threads about how recipe kit instructions aren't always very accurate, I'm now second guessing what mine has told me. Wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think.

I am brewing the William's Brewing Company English IPA. It tells me that I should let if ferment for 12 days and then check the gravity. If it is below a certain point (don't have it in front of me but I want to say 1.019?) then it should be bottled right away. It then says, once bottled, I should let it sit in a warm place (65 to 75 degrees) for 9 days, and then in a cooler place (55 to 65) for another two weeks. Does this sound right to you guys? From what I've read on here it looks like people are saying the fermenting time should be longer. Will my English IPA benefit from a long secondary fermentation? Thanks!

Dan

12 days is a good time frame to take a gravity reading...so far all of my beers have finished within that time frame. The part I disagree with is that you should bottle right away. You COULD bottle right away if it's reached final gravity but in my experience it will be better beer if you wait another two weeks. It doesn't have to be in a secondary - many folks just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks but either way I don't bottle beer that's less than 3 weeks old. Personally I like to move it to secondary when it's finished so I can start another batch in the primary. Pretty much all beers benefit from at least a couple of weeks aging.

So with the influx of threads about how recipe kit instructions aren't always very accurate, I'm now second guessing what mine has told me. Wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think.

I am brewing the William's Brewing Company English IPA. It tells me that I should let if ferment for 12 days and then check the gravity. If it is below a certain point (don't have it in front of me but I want to say 1.019?) then it should be bottled right away. It then says, once bottled, I should let it sit in a warm place (65 to 75 degrees) for 9 days, and then in a cooler place (55 to 65) for another two weeks. Does this sound right to you guys? From what I've read on here it looks like people are saying the fermenting time should be longer. Will my English IPA benefit from a long secondary fermentation? Thanks!

Dan

I'd suggest bottling when you reach final gravity for your recipe. It doesn't matter if it is 12 days, shorter or longer. As far as the time spent with the beer in bottles the longer the better. Those times listed are minimums especially for an IPA.

Back