Roku/Netflix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Anyone else using the Roku/Netflix box? Pretty awesome little box for the money...

I sold a few of the Roku Audio streamers. Everyone who wanted one was thrilled with the performance. Got out of the biz before any video features were added to the Roku product.

There's rumor of netflix working out a patch for the PS3 to do the same thing. I'm just worried they're going to try streaming less than SD DVD quality when I'm used to bluray.

I use my laptop instead, which has an HDMI output. The quality is underwhelming, though.

I bought the HD 1000 (now called Photobridge) years ago and it was under engineered. No power switch or fan. Guess what burned out. :confused:

It was sold as a open source friendly platform with frequent o/s updates. The core user base kept up with their end of the bargain developing apps that exceeded those that the company put out but the third party developers were hamstrung by the tight control on the o/s help by the CEO Anthony. Several of the engineers tried to support it, but were either let go or left on their own accord.

The fabled update with all of the fixes never surfaced. I'm currently running a release candidate and almost exclusively 3rd party apps and hacks. I have to use telnet to enable network access and I use a CF card for a memory buffer.

Somewhere on the forum you can see my hack to get around the burnt out power supply (olllllo there too) as well as my scathing response to the CEO's open letter announcing the HD1000's end of life (it had languished for months without any communication to the user base). :mad:

He never responded and seemed oblivious because he is always moving on to the next thing.... incidently do you know why the company is called ROKU?

Roku is the number 6 in Japanese. It was named because this is the 6th company that ego-tard started. Started and never finished.

Wow. Wow.

I had no idea Roku was such a failure. Nor did I know it could get so geeky for you code freaks. I bet it was fun while it lasted tho'.

Back