Started my first...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanana

Reaction score
Was wondering a few things. I just started my first ever fermentation. I forgot to take the original gravity and am not sure what the alcohol percentage will be or if there is a way to find this out.

Side note... Please ignore grammar!!
image-2027628141.jpg

Well first off welcome to the club!!! :rockin:

ok so you can use some online tools to help you figure out your OG what were you brewing:mug:

If it was an extract, we can figure out the original gravity from the amount of the ingredients. If you followed the instructions and the recipe listed an original gravity than you can use that. If the recipe didn't sate an original gravity we can figure out the original gravity by this calculator.

If it involved some grain mashing we can estimate it from one of these calculators but it will be a guess because we will have to guess how efficient you were at mashing out fermentable sugars from the grain. When you take your final gravity we can also try estimating by working backwards by estimating the attenuation of your yeast (what percentage of the sugar the yeast converted to alchohol).

There's a few calculations for Alcohol by volume. My favorite is % Alcohol by Volume = (Original Gravity - Final Gravity) * 131 but there other equations.

Ok I'm not so sure this counts as a brew, but I really wanted to test out all of the hard work I've put into getting started. So I decided to start a cider. I did six gallon of cider, 3 lbs of sugar and a cuvée yeast. So no brewing required.

Well, I imagine one can easily derive original gravity of cider from amount of cider, and sugar. Unless different ciders have different amounts of sugar.

Based on this:

If we assume cider has 28 grams of sugar per cup. There are 16 cups per gallon so there are 28grams * 16 cups = 448 grams per gallon = .9 lbs per gallon.

6 gallons * 448 grams = 2688 grams = 5.9 lbs of sugar.

Then you added three more pounds of sugar for 8.9 lbs of sugar total.

1 lb of sugar has 46 gallon gravity units. That is, if you add a pound of sugar to 1 gallon of water you will have a specific gravity of 1.046.

8.9 lbs * 46 gallon gravity units per lb / 6 gallons = 409.4 gallon gravity units / 6 gallons = 68 gravity points.

So O.G. = 1.068.

*IF* apple cider has 28 grams of sugar per 8 oz.

Why don't you post to the cider forum?

Back