How to add Belgian candi sugar to fermenting beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
I have a Belgian quad brewing. I need to add some candi sugar I made to high krausen on the second day (tomorrow). Not sure how to get the hard candi sugar to the fermenter.
THanks
Lakedawgs

We are about to make a dubbel and I'm curious the benefits of adding durin fermentation vs end of boil. Any preferences? We are using 1.5 lbs for 5 gallons.

Don't want to sound stupid but 'boil some water'....roughly how much water to add to a pound of candi sugar when boiling down? Just worried about keeping it semi liquid while cooling to a temp acceptable to adding to the fermenter.

Sanitize the outside of the package and pour it in. The sugar is sanitary, and will get fully consumed by the yeast. I've done this a number of times and it works.

You can save yourself some trouble and expense in the future and just use table sugar...

Don't want to sound stupid but 'boil some water'....roughly how much water to add to a pound of candi sugar when boiling down? Just worried about keeping it semi liquid while cooling to a temp acceptable to adding to the fermenter.

Use just enough water to get the sugar covered and dissolved. Not much needed.

I use the liquid candi sugars. Regular table sugar doesn't have any caramelized sugars in it as compared with colored "candi" sugar. Try to use the least amount of sugar possible to dissolve so as not to dilute the brew (as in get it close to syrup as you can without darkening).

TD

While I agree that light candi sugar is basically the same as table sugar, this is a dark candi sugar.
Thanks

Back