Decoction Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashtymail

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to brew using a decoction mash? I know that you slowly raise the temperature throughout the mash. But, how exactly do you do that. Is it by adding more hot water to the mash, and if so how much?

Brewing TV has a good show on decoction mashing. You basically boil part of the mash to raise the temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me how to brew using a decoction mash? I know that you slowly raise the temperature throughout the mash. But, how exactly do you do that. Is it by adding more hot water to the mash, and if so how much?

What you describe is step mashing using infusions. Decoction involves taking a sizeable portion of thick mash and slowly bringing it to steps, and boil, then returning some or all of it to the main mash to reach the next step temp.

Watch that video. It's what I used the first time. it does add time, but it's not complicated. Just have another decent size pot, and a sieve or something on hand to pull the mash out without leaving a lot of wort with it.

I think it's kind of fun, but the only beer I did back to back was a wheat. The decoction batch was better, but I only have one data point.

You don't have to do a Decoction mash to raise the temp of the mash. You can just add boiling water to reach your desired temp. Decoction Mashes are a traditional German mash that allow you to get more malty characteristics into the finnished product.

Back