Red Lion Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I searched the Automated and Electric subforums and only found one thread that mentions Red Lion parts, and was not this one. So I figured I'd ask:

Has anyone used this for a temp controller in either refrigeration control for fermenting or for heating element control in brewing?
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70031233

My concern is that I'm misunderstanding the product, since it's not even $20.00. Is this actually a temperature controller or is it a snake about to bite me?

If it IS actually what I think it is, looks pretty cool. Supports slave control output... a ton of different TC types...blah blah blah. I'd probalby still need some relays to directly carry the current of the heating element that would be controlled by this thing's output.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Nic

Edit: Also found this one: T48
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70031237

On closer look... I think these are just accessories to the actual controller... doesn't look like they show the actual product in the photograph.

But if anyone can confirm one way or the other, that'd be great.

Thanks,

Nic

I can't see other pictures of the models you proposed. The T4810000 http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70031234 looks much like the Aubers that are popular here, but is priced at more that 4 times the cost of an Auber. It's hard to picture them selling a similar model for so much less. I have five Auber 2342s now in different roles, and can vouch for their value. If you want to spend less, the ebay controllers are quite popular for fermentation temperature control. They don't give quite as much precision, but seem to do fine. I bought one that turned out to be 220 v, anded up giving it away, and started buying the Aubers, and did not look back.

I actually use to sell these things. From my recollection they you can adjust the high and low tolerance and they are meant to trip a relay. You wouldn't be able to run a compressor off the controller itself.

I can't see other pictures of the models you proposed. The T4810000 http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70031234 looks much like the Aubers that are popular here, but is priced at more that 4 times the cost of an Auber. It's hard to picture them selling a similar model for so much less. I have five Auber 2342s now in different roles, and can vouch for their value. If you want to spend less, the ebay controllers are quite popular for fermentation temperature control. They don't give quite as much precision, but seem to do fine. I bought one that turned out to be 220 v, anded up giving it away, and started buying the Aubers, and did not look back.

Sub $50. Cool. Do you use them fermentation control, heating control, or both?

I actually use to sell these things. From my recollection they you can adjust the high and low tolerance and they are meant to trip a relay. You wouldn't be able to run a compressor off the controller itself.

I figured the relay would be required anyway and had planned on needing to buy one. So is this just a simple thermostat or does it actually use PID algorithms to try to minimize overshoot?

Sub $50. Cool. Do you use them fermentation control, heating control, or both?

I figured the relay would be required anyway and had planned on needing to buy one. So is this just a simple thermostat or does it actually use PID algorithms to try to minimize overshoot?

I use them for both. One program setting shift them from primarily heating or primarily coolin. However, you can use the alarm circuit to trigger heating when the controller is in cooling mode. The instructions accompanying them detail this use.

The 2342s have an internal 10 A relay. I run fridges, a freezer, and ASCO valves directly using them. There are other models designed to run SSRs. I believe I left them in automatic, i.e. PID mode. Initially the temperature swings on the keezer seemed pretty wide, but those have tightened up with time. That is what I understand the PID to be intended to do, and it seems to have worked.

I sell Red Lion products for a living. So I highly recommend them. I just don't sell them in the OK area.

Back