color questions for raspberry wheat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jreuter

Reaction score
I searched on here and maybe I'm just terrible at navigating this forum...but can someone give me a few pointers on how to brew a Rasp. Wheat and get it to stay that beautiful golden color..while having a subtle but noticeable taste and aroma? Any help would be super appreciated.

If you use red or black raspberries they will color the brew to some degree. I recently made a triple berry (blueberry, blackberry, and raspberry), it's purple. I get a kick out of it. I have seen yellow raspberries, don't know how they taste but they wouldn't add much color.

Only golden Raspberry Wheat I've seen when you only use extract flavorings and even they may add some color.

I brewed one last year and did one this year again, both with fresh raspberries. I used 1 Qt last year and 2 Qt this year. Even though it seems low, 1 qt is the sweet spot for balance IMO. This years rasp wheat made with 2 qt was a little too fruity and over shadowed everything else.

With 1 qt, the color was a very nice pink but turned a little brown after several months. I think the key is to try to avoid oxidation as much as possible so use a carboy with little headspace and fill bottles pretty high.

If you need advice on using fresh raspberries, I would be happy to post what I do to clean them. I highly recommend using real fruit instead of extracts because you get a lot more flavor and aroma than extracts.

Thanks these have all been very helpful. If there is anything else that anyone may be able to tell me I'm still hoping for more responses.

Jreuter said:
Thanks these have all been very helpful. If there is anything else that anyone may be able to tell me I'm still hoping for more responses.

Raspberry is on the right. Very red in real life. All of the red leeched out and the berries are now white. This is week 3 in the secondary. I tried using extra only and found that the imitation raspberry extract tastes better than the pure extract but both extracts weren't very good.

image-2216763178.jpg

Back