Pale Ale or Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a Batch this weekend is it a Pale Ale or Amber Ale?

Weyermann Pale Ale Malt 6#
Weyermann Vienna Malt 4#
Crystal 60L 8oz (Was on Hand no local HBS in 60 Miles)
Citra 1oz 60 Min
Citra .50 30 Min
Citra .25 15 Min
Citra .25 5 Min
Notty Ale yeast.

??Is this a Pale or Amber ????
:mug:

I'd call it an amber ale with the minimal late hops. IANABJCPJ but the style guide does say the hops are low to moderate in the aroma, and Vienna would give you a nice malty boost.

But it sounds like a yummy beer in any event, and I don't think the style police would pull you over for calling it a pale ale :)

How much Crystal60? I plugged this in to brew pal with 1 lb of Crystal 60 and it says style match is "English IPA." English ESB and American IPA were other matches. It shows over 50 IBU with all that Citra, and the SRM is 9.8, but that's a guess since I guessed 1lb of Crystal 60L.

It's the oz of bittering citra...I'd say that makes it at least a pale ale. Calling it an amber ale would suprise someone not fond of hippy beers.

Just looking at the grain bill, definitely a pale. Ambers would have more of a caramel / crystal malt flavor. Color wise, you're also in pale ale range.

Back