1st 10Gal BIAB=Sucsess!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
It was a tight squeeze, I had almost 20 pounds of grain and started with 12 gallons of water. That was yesterday, this morning there is a nice 1" thick layer of krausen! I split the beer into 2 batches with 2 different yeasts. They are in a ferm chamber so the only variable is the yeast! Can't wait.

What size kettle are you using?

Splitting batches and pitching 2 different yeasts is a great way to learn - I've done that many times.

I love BIAB! One thing I have learned is to use Brewing software to get your efficiency, grain absorption, and temp calc right. Once you get that dialed in, it really comes out great! My kettle rarely can hold all my water/grain at one time. So I always calculate for 8 gallons of water, then add the rest as it is getting ready to boil. You don't "have" to use all the water up front.. This allows me to really hit the OG everytime and not spill over. I also always do a Mash out (five points OG) and a light bag squeze and drain.

Back