Propane tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranch

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am slowly cobbling together my AG gear and the last thing I need is a propane tank. What size do you all use, and about how long does one tank last? Also, where is a good place to get tanks: online or at a store somewhere? I know that they changed the valve standards a few years back so that old tanks need special adapters, but this shouldn't affect me if I'm buying a new tank, right?

Thanks.

ranch

At the very least a 20 pounder gets me four 10 gallon batches.
I always keep one spare on hand in the event of an inadverdant flame-out due to an empty tank.

I just get my tanks from Home Depot, Blue Rhino tanks that I can swap out. I know I pay a little more than if I had them re-filled, but it's worth it for me just for the convenience of it (since I'm at the Depot a couple of times anyway each weekend). $46 initially (including deposit on the tank), $16 to swap out.

Rhino gas exchange as low as 12.00 (Look around, they are NOT the same price everywhere!) 1 tank gets me about 5 brews (Jet burner that eats up gas) so I keep 2 on hand, 1 for brewing 1 for BBQ. If either runs out, I'm golden

If you have one or more of the old-style gas tanks, you can exchange it for one of the new ones. Exchanging is more expensive than having a tank refilled, but much cheaper than buying a new tank, and ending up with one or more old tanks than nobody will refill.

-a.

If you need a tank, try your local dump/landfill. People get rid of propane tanks all the time (even ones in excellent condition) and, at least in my area, they have a separate place to drop them off so they don't go into the landfill.

The folks at the dump thought it was odd I was making a pick up, but they didn't say no.

I have to point out that you should check Craigslist and eBay first.

I have a total of 5 20lb'ers and I have never paid more than $10 each. The first two I found on Craigslist for $10 each, and the next two I found on eBay for $25 for both. I emailed him and said that I could pickup tonight and would pay $20 cash. Done deal!

Even though I turn around and exchange the tank for another $15, my total cost per filled tank is only $25. Alot cheaper than $45+

Also beware that most of the time when you exchange a Blue Rhino tank you really aren't getting 20lbs of propane, more like 16lbs.

find a walmart with 'excellent' customer service, they usually have a dozen sitting outside unlocked etc...

I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but augmenting it!

I've got a way old LP grill that doesn't work anymore at my house (left over from when my father-in-law lived there). It has a tank that looks good, but probably doesn't have the new safety valve, which means I probably can't get it filled up.

What should I do with it? Is it even worth upgrading?

Moonpile said:
It has a tank that looks good, but probably doesn't have the new safety valve, which means I probably can't get it filled up.

What should I do with it? Is it even worth upgrading?

Take it to one of the places that exchanges tanks. Old tank in, new tank out...problem solved! :rockin:

I've got a 50 gallon tank coming at my new house... for free! :rockin:

Had a 1" line plumbed for the sculpture.

Unclesamskid said:
If you need a tank, try your local dump/landfill. People get rid of propane tanks all the time (even ones in excellent condition) and, at least in my area, they have a separate place to drop them off so they don't go into the landfill.

The folks at the dump thought it was odd I was making a pick up, but they didn't say no.

I had this bright idea also, but it turned out that every one of them was the older style connection so you should be aware of it. If you're lucky, they'll swap out at the blue rhino cage without noticing, but maybe not. I ended up bringing a tank right back to the recycle yard.

One tid bit to add- tanks have the 'tare weight' stamped on them. Like t-18. means 18# empty. So a scale will tell you how much you've paid for, and how much is left in a used tank. I brewed today, started with one tank at 21.5 and one at 19.5. Made it. barley. or actually, sorghum.

I just had my two "5 gallon/20 pound" tanks filled at the rental place. $12.85 each. 4.6 gallons, or 18 pounds. I have seen Rhino from $18 to $26. And I have had gas station guys want to charge me $15 "service charge"- EACH. Hmm, I think I can plumb a natural gas line for less than I just spent on propane....hmm...maybe I'll remember before I need propane again?

I would watch for people giving away old rusty grills, chances are they will have a fine propane tank attached. take the tank home and the grill to the dump. I did that and now have two tanks.

Oh by the way, all these new valve rules only apply to tanks less than 10 gallons.

Not the tank that I had found on the side of the road. 10 gallons, but covered with tar. It must have fallen off of a tar kettle. Latest 'find' was a fork lift truck tank, given to me. I transfered the propane to my 5'ers, only filling them 2/3 erso. Then I gave the half filled tank to my neighbors in trade for fork truck use. Everybody is happy.

I've never quite understood the blue rhino thing. I understand that it's coveniant as hell but a minimum of $16 and likely more. I pay $2.50/gal for propane so filling up a completely empty tank (which is rare) would only be $12.50.

Just my opinion mind you.

Back