Can you Brew It recipe for The Bruery Rugbrod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1069
FG 1008
IBUs ?
SRM ?

61% Great Western 2-row
22% Weyermann Malted Rye
7% Great Western Crystal 60
4% Baird's Brown Malt
4% Simpson's Crystal Rye
2% Weyermann Chocolate Rye

Mash at 153F for one hour.

Boil for 60min

21g Warrior 17.6%AA First Wort Hop

Yeast = use the dregs from a bottle of The Bruery White Orchard. Pour into 200ml of 1025 starter wort, step up to a 500ml starter, then a 1250ml starter. Alternatively, the brewer recommends WLP570.

Pitch at 70F, raise 1F every day for 4 days and hold at 74F.

Water is Orange County, CA water through a carbon filter.

Nice, I happen to be in OC right now. Maybe I'll shoot by and give this a shot to see if I want to brew it.

Thanks

The thing about this is -- there were two major problems with the episode they gave for this. They were F&*(& around so much that they weren't focused on the reason they were (supposedly) there.

First, they gave the recipe twice (first as percents, than as pounds), but the percentages and poundages didn't match up at all. Obviously I'm not including the brewer interview part as one of the times...

% version was the following (I put the poundage after in parentheses, assuming 70% eff and 6 gallons post boil, since this is the efficiency/post-boil CYBI uses):
61% 2-row (10.03 lbs)
22% rye malt (3.62 lbs)
7% C60 (1.15 lbs)
4% Brown malt (.66 lbs)
4% crystal rye (.66 lbs)
2% chocolate rye (.33 lbs)

Right before the end, they ran through the poundage (for a 10 gallon batch, but here adjusted for the usual 6 gallon post boil):
# version:
10.48 lbs 2-row (64%)
3.78 lbs rye malt (23.1%)
1.2 lbs C60 (7.4%)
.69 lbs Brown malt (4.2%)
.12 lbs crystal rye (0.8%)!!!!!
.09 lbs chocolate rye (0.6%)!!!

This isn't a scaling issue -- it's a different recipe. And it isn't the "old" brewery (or should I say Bruery?) recipe, either... Aside from anything else, the recipes give substantially different color and flavor profiles (flavor's subjective, but the color difference is the difference between an amber beer (around 15 SRM) and a brown (around 20 SRM). This suggests the amber colored recipe is more accurate (which is the poundage one here) since the beer itself is more amber than brown in color. But that's very much a guess, and really doesn't mean anything (color can be deceiving).

Second, the hopping was given as 21g of Warrior @ 17.6%aa, 60 minutes in the boil.
Supposedly this gives 22 IBUs, per the episode. Not by any formula I've ever come across. Try something like 51 IBUs, plus or minus a few, depending on your formula of choice. I'm guessing this was the amount used in the 10 gallon batch and wasn't adjusted? But they didn't catch it when they ran through it (and this should have been obvious on its face).

The hopping I'm less concerned with, since that's the probable adjustment (basically, cut them in half for the usual batch size). But there's something loopy in the grain bill, and it isn't simply explained by the updated brewery recipe.

EngineJoe said:
The thing about this is -- there were two major problems with the episode they gave for this. They were F&*(& around so much that they weren't focused on the reason they were (supposedly) there.

First, they gave the recipe twice (first as percents, than as pounds), but the percentages and poundages didn't match up at all.

% version was the following (I put the poundage after in parentheses, assuming 70% eff and 6 gallons post boil, since this is the efficiency/post-boil CYBI uses):
61% 2-row (10.03 lbs)
22% rye malt (3.62 lbs)
7% C60 (1.15 lbs)
4% Brown malt (.66 lbs)
4% crystal rye (.66 lbs)
2% chocolate rye (.33 lbs)

Later, they ran through the poundage (for a 10 gallon batch, but here adjusted for the usual 6 gallon post boil):
# version:
10.48 lbs 2-row (64%)
3.78 lbs rye malt (23.1%)
1.2 lbs C60 (7.4%)
.69 lbs Brown malt (4.2%)
.12 lbs crystal rye (0.8%)!!!!!
.09 lbs chocolate rye (0.6%)!!!

This isn't a scaling issue -- it's a different recipe. And it isn't the "old" brewery (or should I say Bruery?) recipe, either... Aside from anything else, the recipes give substantially different color and flavor profiles (flavor's subjective, but the color difference is the difference between an amber beer (around 15 SRM) and a brown (around 20 SRM). This suggests the amber colored recipe is more accurate (which is the poundage one here) since the beer itself is more amber than brown in color. But that's very much a guess, and really doesn't mean anything (color can be deceiving).

Second, the hopping was given as 21g of Warrior @ 17.6%aa, 60 minutes in the boil.
Supposedly this gives 22 IBUs, per the episode. Not by any formula I've ever come across. Try something like 51 IBUs, plus or minus a few, depending on your formula of choice. I'm guessing this was the amount used in the 10 gallon batch and wasn't adjusted? But they didn't catch it when they ran through it (and this should have been obvious on its face).

The hopping I'm less concerned with, since that's the probable adjustment (basically, cut them in half for the usual batch size). But there's something loopy in the grain bill, and it isn't simply explained by the updated brewery recipe.

I am going to listen to the Brewer's interview soon and try to figure this out.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

They gave a 12 gallon recipe. So it just needs to be divided in half. It's my understanding that they do the interview, usually with the head brewer, then ask the other brewers who brew it regularly for info. They then correct the recipe and give that later in the show.

Here's what I got.

6gal

OG: 1.065
9.28 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 63.9 %
3.35 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 23.0 %
1.10 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.5 %
0.61 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 4.2 %
0.11 lb Crystal Rye (60.0 SRM) Grain 0.8 %
0.08 lb Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 0.6 %
0.37 oz Warrior [17.60%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 25.9 IBU

Mash at 153F for 60 minutes.

With that much rye malt, wouldn't you need some hulls to prevent a stuck mash. I've heard that mashing a lot of rye causes stuck mashes.

I am going to listen to the Brewer's interview soon and try to figure this out.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Thnx, Eric... but be careful; something that also comes out later in this (fairly sloppy) episode is that the brewery's recipe changed after the interview but before the clone attempt. So they changed the clone recipe to match the new brewery recipe when doing the clone. This updated and correct recipe is supposedly the clone recipe they gave us, but who knows what we got, since even that ended up being inconsistent.

Not to veer from the point, but I felt that this episode of CYBI was especially indicative of a general slide in quality (not just the recipe issues, but just about the entire podcast episode is a mess).

It was a train wreck! I think they all have too much going on at the same time now. But the recipe I posted is the scaled down one of the final recipe they gave.

You can definitely add rice hulls.

I brewed this two weeks ago. Very excited by this CYBI as Rugbrød is one of my favorites. First of all, THANK YOU EricCSU for this awesome collection of threads. I don't even pay attention to the podcast anymore because between the bull**** banter and horribly over-produced commercials it's just a waste of time. I always head straight for HBT and am SO glad for this collection!

I brewed the recipe as originally posted but with WLP575 instead of 570. Fermentation was vigorous for about 10 days, and started to produce sulfur as it died down. Two weeks in the gravity is at 1.013, which I suspect will be FG for my batch. I think the color (brown) is pretty close. The Bruery states SRM 18 for this beer and if you look at a glass it's certainly brown and not amber (at least by my definition of amber). At this stage the beer is extremely cloudy. Looks like diluted mud or pond water. Smells yeasty, tastes yeasty. Lots of interesting rye character covered up by the green-ness which I'm sure will come to the foreground in a few more weeks.

I am wondering, how long would you (anyone) let this sit before packaging? My plan is to give it another two weeks sitting in the primary to let the yeast clean up a bit.

Gave it another two weeks in primary (for a total of four weeks) and bottled with dextrose for 2.5 volumes co2. After one week in the bottle this beer is really starting to take shape. It's bready and spicy with an alcohol kick that sneaks up on you. As it warms, an alcohol hotness starts to emerge. Looking forward to seeing how the flavors meld and mellow over time, but already this has gone from "weird" to "very drinkable". Cheers.

photo1tv.jpg

Which version did you brew - the % version or the weights one? They were different enough to impact the color, so I'm curious.

If you brew this, the show missed the 5% Dark Munich that Patrick from The Bruery talks about at the 28:30 mark.
So maybe replace some of the pale malt base with this.

For everyone who has tried brewing this, how did it turn out? I actually quite like this beer, and it's always fun to get people drunk and tell them how the name is really pronounced. Watching a drunk friend try to say "rugbrød" is always a good time.

Finally did a side-by-side tasting. The two are nothing like each other, at all. As a disclaimer, I used WLP575 instead of the recommended WLP570 or bottle culture, so I'm not expecting a match at all. However, the "clone" has a significantly darker color and a much sharper roasty bite. The rye is also way more noticeable. The original is sweeter tasting and softer, which is surprising since its FG is lower than my clone. I brewed the % version (original post), and if the lbs version indeed correct, I think the large discrepancy of chocolate rye probably has something to do with the added darkness and roastiness. In any case, it's a yummy recipe that I will try to refine for a future brew.

Back