10-gallon brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
When you're transferring from BK to two primaries, do you worry about wort stratification? That is, do you just fill one up, then fill the next, or try to fill them simultaneously?

I just fill one halfway, then switch over and repeat. Probably doesn't even matter, i'm just paranoid. Never tasted any diff between the two.

_

I usually ferment my 10 gallon batches as one, but when I have fermented in two separate carboys I just fill one then the other. My reasoning is that the wort in the kettle should be homogeneous from whirlpool.

I am not sure about this either. To mitigate my paranoia, I just my 14.25 gallon demi-johns and throw it all in one fermenter for primary. Though when I go from primary to kegs, I run into the same issue.

I have been thinking about just giving it a swirl before I rack.

I just fill one and then the other. Never thought to do it any other way, and both batches always come out the same.

OK, I'm trying to get this straight. I only brew 5 gallons, but I'm imagining that I have gotten a nice big BK and I'm going to run the wort into two fermenters. I've boiled, and chilled (I use an immersion chiller with plenty of stirring), then I open the valve and run the wort into the fermenters. How would there be time for the wort to stratify in any way that I'd need to be concerned about? (I'm talking about the wort itself, no adjuncts, hops, or any other solids in the wort considered.)

I agree with you rico - I think the time for stratification would be in the fermenter (as in my case). i.e. if you go from boil kettle to two fermenters - it should be the same.

For me I will probably rackfrom my demijohn into a large 15 gallon bucket I have for cider. from there, I will put into two kegs. I think the gentle racking will be enough to discount the stratification from my 3 week primary.

I use a whirlpool return with my IC and let it sit for 20 minutes after chilling. Then I fill the first primary and then the second.

I use a plate chiller, recirculate till out flow reads 68 degrees, and then pump into the first carboy followed by the second. I've never noticed a difference.

Back