False bottom.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just sounding of and looking for ideas.

At the moment I'm experimenting different kit and methods for brewing All Grain.
I've been using an electric keggle for a HLT, a gas fire keggle for boiling and a cooler mash tun.
I now also have 2 x 240v 3KW 30l Kettle. (I can get one more if I need)
I want to go compact and simple. (KISS) I want to keep my budget as nero to zero as possible. (it's close to it so far)

I'm thinking of keeping to the 2 x Electric Kettles and doubling up the Mash Tun and Boil Kettle or HLT and Boil kettle.

So far I've double the MLT and Kettle. The only problem with this is cleaning the grains from the the kettle before adding the wort back.

So I was thinking of using an inner basket to hold the grain that I can remove once the mash is finished. I have a turkey fryer pot that I could use and drill to make into a sieve.

Eventually when I have a system I'm happy with I may had a pump.

Any initial thoughts or ideas?

That basket thing sounds good to me. Though I don't think you gotta drill a pot to make one. There's gotta be a simpler (and cheaper?) alternative... Let me think bout it and I'll get back to ya.

Would a large nylon painters bag do the trick? I've seen this posted elsewhere. Sure it will affect efficiency slightly, but cleanup is a breeze.

I saw this system for the first time the other day. It uses a grain container like what you are saying.

Brewmeister

I was thinking you could make something like this using a round aluminum heat duct with some sort of mesh screen at both ends.

Here's what I had in mind. You could take a piece of duct like this and then use a clamp to secure a screen at the bottom. I want to find something instead of just using a screen but this is moving in the right direction.

063467121459lg.jpg

060672131402lg.jpg

I all ready have the turkey fryer pot that I do not need. It cost me £10 for the full fryer set up.

Fitted the two kettles with syphon tubes today.

My turkey fryer came with a straining basket. It has too large of holes for what you want but if you could get hold of one, maybe it could be lined with some screen or a mesh bag?

I may look at a two stage aproach and buy a pre drilled insert and drill the bottom with 25.4mm holes.
perforated-sheets-250x250.jpg

BRAINWAVE!

I know where I can get lots of SS filter for nothing!

range_hood_filters.jpg

Back