HELP! What in place of peach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishpride42

Reaction score
Ok so I was going to try my hand at peach brandy however I can find no fresh peaches. I will paste the recipe I was going to use, I have bought all the ingredients except peaches and lemons so what can I use in place of the peaches and try my hand brandy. THanks in advance! Mods if this needs to be elsewhere please move as needed!

PEACH BRANDY

Ingredients :
20-25 peaches, cut up
4 lbs. seedless raisins
2 pkgs. distiller's yeast
10 lbs. sugar
3 gal. boiling water
3 lemons, ground with skins

Preparation :
Put everything in crock (I am using a brewers bucket) except raisins and yeast. When lukewarm
crumble yeast over top. Stir every morning and night for seven days
then add raisins and let stand 3 weeks without stirring. After 3
weeks syphon and put in gallon jugs with lids on loosely. Let stand
until clear, pour into bottles and seal tightly. Makes 2 1/2
gallons.

I have a book by Randy Mosher "Radical Brewing", in it he states that apricots are a great substitute for peaches and often impart a more peachy taste than real peaches.

I'm not judging anybody, nor am I trying to get anybody in trouble.....but is this legal?

I know that distilling is illegal, but is there a grey area? I may be wrong, but I was kinda under the impression that there were liqeours that were legal to make.?

Yuri_Rage said:
This is more of a peach wine than peach brandy. He makes no mention of distilling it.

well that's cool. It kinda broadens the range of what we can and can't make. I might look into this kind of thing.:cross:

talleymonster said:
It kinda broadens the range of what we can and can't make.
The law in the US is very clear...You can ferment, but you can not concentrate. SO...NO DISTILLATION, and No AppleJacking. That is where you take your hard cyder and very slowly freeze it, then drill a hole to the center and drain out all of the alcohol that has concentrated in the middle...Illegal.
Using some super yeast to brew up some 20 - 25% wine...Perfectly fine.

Another option is to use Peach Oregon Fruit Puree. Many of the online HB stores carry it. I haven't used the peach, but the flavors I have used all worked well.

Latest posts

Back