Trader Joe's beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
Does anyone know who does the contract brewing for Trader Joe's? I just tried one of their "Josephsbrau Pilznr". It was actually pretty decent. Have not had anything else but I would drink this one again.

Gordon Biersch does the JosephsBrau brand, Firestone Walker does the Mission Street, Unibroue does their Vintage Ale, not sure who does the Mexican line...

Nice to see it is not contracted out to BMC. Based on the fact they're pretty good I wouldn't think that they were.

Yes, Gordon Biersch contract brews some Trader Joe's beers (JosephsBrau, San Jose, CA). They also brew the Costco's Kirkland Signature beers on the West coast (Sam Adams Brews for the East coast, from what I've heard).

Gordon Biersch does the JosephsBrau brand, Firestone Walker does the Mission Street, Unibroue does their Vintage Ale, not sure who does the Mexican line...

According to the link I posted, it seems Gordon Biersch also does the "Trader Jose's" Mexican line. Albeit I haven't verified that page's info, but it seems to jive with what everyone else is saying.

The brewery and restaurants are now separate entities. Dan Gordon still operates the brewery; Dean Biersch handles (or used to handle) the restaurant side ...

I guess the merger didn't last long because according to their website:

"On Monday, November 15, 2010, Rock Bottom Restaurants and Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group, Inc. merged to become CraftWorks Restaurants and Breweries, Inc."

http://www.craftworksrestaurants.com/history.html

I think it is more or less legal maneuvering so they can operate in states that do not allow brewpubs to package and/or packaging breweries to serve on site.

Those cheap (cheap!) 6 packs of canned beer at Trader Joe's are TERRIBLE. However, the Missions Street beers are really good at a good price and is the only way we can get Firestone Walker beers here in GA.

I plan on going to their A1A Ale Works Restaurant/Brewpub in St. Augustine this weekend. I've heard their Red Brick Ale is pretty good.

I plan on going to their A1A Ale Works Restaurant/Brewpub in St. Augustine this weekend. I've heard their Red Brick Ale is pretty good.

Go to jp henleys after you finish at a1a aleworks they have a pretty nice selection on tap and are right next door

Back