Secondary Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I transferred my Pale Ale after one week of fermentation. The FG was spot on at 1.012. I dry hopped 1oz of Cascade hops in the secondary and after 2 days it looks like this:

trub.jpg

Does dry hopping cause that much trub? It doesn't look like hop particles to me. It looks like yeast.

After only fermenting for one week you still have a bunch of yeast in suspension. My Pale doesn't really drop completely clear until after about 3+ weeks or when I crash cool it

That sedimentation looks like fairly pure yeast. Fermentation finished but the yeast didn't drop out right away. There is nothing to worry about. The yeast shouldn't hurt anything. :mug:

gosh thats a lot of yeast. It may be 2ndary yeast but I still say harvest that (look at wiki/a butt load of past posts for more info) to save yourself some money on yeast

david_the_greek said:
gosh thats a lot of yeast. It may be 2ndary yeast but I still say harvest that (look at wiki/a butt load of past posts for more info) to save yourself some money on yeast

I got a lot of yeast out of the primary. I'm thinking maybe I'll dump the primary yeast and harvest from the secondary since it looks like a lot more pure yeast and less trub.

BNVince said:
I got a lot of yeast out of the primary. I'm thinking maybe I'll dump the primary yeast and harvest from the secondary since it looks like a lot more pure yeast and less trub.

You can do that but you will be selecting less flocculant yeast so the next batch may take even longer to clarify...

Got Trub? said:
You can do that but you will be selecting less flocculant yeast so the next batch may take even longer to clarify...

Oh I didn't know that. Okay I will just steak the primary yeast that I washed.

Thanks.

Back