Capsicumel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criggs85

Reaction score
So I have read a couple threads on making capsicumel here and think I might make a gallon batch soon. In the past I have made habanero infused honey by cutting up a habanero and simmering it in the honey in a double boiler for about 15 minutes then filtering out the pepper when putting it back in the jar. Would doing this with the 3 pounds of honey I'm going to use be a good idea instead of putting the cut up peppers in the primary like I've read? Or would the heat disappear when the sugars are converted? Thoughts?

Sounds to me like a needless extra step, but I'm no mead expert. If you're looking to avoid putting the peppers in the primary, then I'd recommend steeping them with the honey and water prior to racking onto the primary.

You're over complicating it...just slice up your habenero, decide if you want it seeded or not, and add it to your mead just before you pitch your yeast.

I just tasted some Habenero Mead that we made during my big barleywine and mead brew day in September.

61896_434156219066_620469066_5125285_303158_n.jpg

63073_434157599066_620469066_5125316_4941712_n.jpg

All we did was slice one up and drop the pieces in.

We did a gallon seeded and one with the seeds left in, and the ones with the seeds removed was less hotter and a little more "fruity" tasting.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up slicing them up and putting them up in the primary. Still had a little seeds left and I put two small to medium size ones in so should still be plenty warm for a gallon batch, though this is all an experiment on my part since I've never tried a capsicumel.

Back