My 4th Batch Porter HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
Gonna brew my 4th batch Porter
When do I add mollasses to flavor it a little ?

My 1st time with liquid yeast How exactly do I pitch it?:tank:

I would add the molasses at the beginning of the boil, or even right before and stir until it''s all dissolved. As for the liquid yeast, you'd have been best off to make a starter, but otherwise bring the vial of yeast to room temp by letting it sit out a few ours before pitching. Right before pitching, crack the cap to release excess pressure inside, close it up, give it a thorough shake, and then pour in the yeast.

you can add molasses at any point, really. I make a porter with black strap in it, and add it whenever I remember to do it. :D

When you add it will affect your hop utilisation, so if you're using a program like BeerSmith then you'll want to add it when you say you do in the recipe. If you base the recipe and IBU calc on adding it at 60 mins and instead add it at 15 mins, then you'll get more bitterness in your beer than you bargained for. Depending on the beer, it may or may not be enough to detect...

I think when you add it also depends on what you'd like to get out of the molasses. Molasses is going to contribute to the gravity of the wort, flavor, aroma, and color of the finished beer. It's going to contribute to the gravity whenever you add it to the boil. But, flavor, aroma, and finished color are all going to change a bit based on when you add the molasses. You'll drive off aroma compounds with a long boil, and you'll contribute more to the color than with a short boil. If you want more molasses aroma and flavor, add it near the end. As others have said, when you add it affects your hops utilization, and you'll want to account for that.

As with dry yeast, make sure you've cooled your wort to <80° before pitching your yeast.

Back