Newbs first all-grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepsn beer

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt my first all-grain brew this weekend. It will be (hopefully) an Oktoberfest. My equiptment is a basic cooler masher. I'm looking for tips that might help me avoid issues. For example what should my dough-in temp be in order to achieve a mash temp closer to ideal (150 f. )
My recipe is -- 8 lbs Vienna
3 lbs Munich
3 lbs G. Pilsner
1.5 lbs Honey malt
1.5 lbs Cara Red
1.5 lbs Cara Munich
1 oz Hallertaur for 60 minutes
White labs Oktoberfest 830 yeast

I'm really sort of winging this batch because I haven't mastered the mathematical sciences yet of AG. I'm going to start with 4.5 gallons of water, recirc. once and sparge with another 4 gallons at 170 f. hopefully netting around 6 gallons of wort around 1.052.
If I'm off base please chime in. The books I've read don't compare to first hand input IMO.

To hit your target mash temps more accuratly, make sure you have lots of hot water at the ready. I assume cold water won't be an issue.

From your posted recipie, it looks like you'll get a high gravity all right.
I don't use nearly that much for a 1060 gravity brew. Is that a tried recipie?

Your right about the gravity being too high for my listed grain volume. The original recipe out of Zymology mag called for a total of 14 lbs. of grain. I posted 18 lbs. which is what I actually bought due to an alternate mashing technique (infusion) that they talked about in the recipe which required 25% more grain. I will most likely use the method I listed with 25% less grain each. Was undecided and hoped to get ideas from forum members.

I just punched this into Beersmith and your gravity will be very high unless you are down at 50% efficiency.

If you are using a 5 gallon cooler I think you may have a hard time fitting all 18.5 lbs of grain in there.

If you reduce your grain bill to 6, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, lbs. you will be in style anywhere between 65% and 70% efficiency. My guess is that this grain bill will fit in your cooler much better and will yield a much higher efficiency for you with a batch your size too.

Also, the hallertauer hops in BeerSmith is 4.8 AA and only yields 10 IBU with a single 1 ounce 60 minute addition. Unless yours is a lot higher AA you'll want more to get into the style range. Of course if you like your beer with much less bitterness then go for it!

Thanks, is Beersmith a program like Potmash. I have a demo of Potmash but don't know how to use it yet. The original recipe does call for 13 lbs of grain which is what I am going to use. Looks like it'll be Sunday or Monday eve before I get a chance to tackle this batch. The IBU stated by the recipe was 23. They listed the Hallertaurs at 5.2. Mine are 3.9 AA and I have 2 ounces. If I add the 2 ozs for 60 min will that put me in the 23 IBU range.

BeerSmith is similar to ProMash but I found it simpler to use than ProMash.

You can get a demo program at www.beersmith.com and I'd suggest at least downloading it to see how you like it compared to promash before you pay for one.

Jeepsn beer said:
Thanks, is Beersmith a program like Potmash. I have a demo of Potmash but don't know how to use it yet. The original recipe does call for 13 lbs of grain which is what I am going to use. Looks like it'll be Sunday or Monday eve before I get a chance to tackle this batch. The IBU stated by the recipe was 23. They listed the Hallertaurs at 5.2. Mine are 3.9 AA and I have 2 ounces. If I add the 2 ozs for 60 min will that put me in the 23 IBU range.

In which case they gave you the weight of the hops also. So do the math and convert into alpha acid units. Should be easy from there.

at 3.9 AA and 3oz you'll end up with 24.5 IBU.

You can hit 23 IBU almost exactly with 2.5 at 60 min and then the other 1/2 oz at 20 min. Of course this will give you more hop aroma and flavor so you may want to stick with 3oz at 60min.

Thanks for the info. I've been flipping back through Palmers book and I've listened to several hours of podcasts on AG brewing techniques. I'll check out the other program and compare before picking one. Thanks for the link.

Jeepsn beer said:
Thanks, is Beersmith a program like Potmash. I have a demo of Potmash but don't know how to use it yet.

I think you need to get some papers or a bong to use it properly. :cross:

If you're looking for comments about your grain bill, I think I'd ditch all the fancy malts and go basic.

Oktoberfests are traditionally a very simple beer in the same manner as a Helles, and not have all sorts of complex and conflicting taste profiles.

Go for a mix of pils and munich malts to get the OG and colour you want, and leave it at that.

Hop profile should be subtle to let the maltiness shine through.

Not to worry dude. It will turn out great! Just watch your sanitation.

Good luck and welcome to the AG club!

1st AG is in the bag. It went well, my dough in temp put me right at 152 for the start of the mash (5 gallons). I ended up starting with a total of 14 lbs of grain. Sparged with 3 gallons and ended up with 6 gallons of wort. 70 minutes of boil with 2 oz of Hallertauer hops @3.9AA. I also added a 1/2 oz the last 2 minutes.The color looks beautiful Amber/copper. My OG ended up at 1.052 at 70F which is right on the mark. Thanks everyone for advice.:ban:

Back