Anybody have a good Apricot Wheat recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentBrewer

Reaction score
Searching this board along with recipator,etc... has produced a few recipes, but I'm not sure they're quite what I'm looking for. Anybody have an apricot wheat recipe that comes highly recommended?

Thanks

Well, here is a partial-mash wheat recipe:
6.8 lbs Wheat Extract (John Bull and Briess)
1 lb Crystal Malt 20
.5 lb Barley
1 lb clover honey @ 30 minutes
1 oz Hallertau @ 60
.5 oz Tettnanger @ 30
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen
Get frozen berries/apricot, put them in a pan for 10 minutes at about 150 degrees, this releases the juice slowly and sanitizes them. Put in secondary when racking.

Here's one, but I can't vouch for it.

Personally, I think the fruit extract flavorings taste like soap.

Apricot Wheat Beer

Tastes very much like Pyramid Apricot Ale, the gold medal winner at the 1994 GABF in the fruit and vegetable category. This is my own recipe (hey, it's pretty simple).
Ingredients for 5 Gallons

Malt Extract: William's weizen malt: 6 lbs.Specialty Malts: Light crystal: 1 1b. (I like the mouthfeel this adds)Bittering Hops: Tettnanger, pellets: 1 oz.Finishing Hops: Tettnanger, pellets: 1 oz. (probably not necessary)Yeast: Whitbread ale, dryClarifying Aids: Irish moss: 1 tsp.Inorganics: Gypsum: 5 Tbsp. Ascorbic acid: 0.5 tsp.Priming: Corn sugar: 0.75 cupFlavorings: William's apricot extract: 6 fl. oz. (bottle says to use 4 oz.) (Also did a recipe with raspberry. The apricot melded much better with the wheat beer.)Water: 5.5 gal. water to start boil in two pots 4.5 gal. boiled and cooled water for start of fermentation 0.5 gal. water for priming sugarDirections

* Sanitize all equipment! I used two 20-quart cheapo pots, a 5-gal. William's siphonless plastic fermentation bucket, and a William's siphonless priming tank.* Start with crystal malt in a mesh bag in a small pot with 2 qts of water.* Bring crystal/water to 150-160F. Steep for 15 minutes. Pour off.* Add 2 more quarts of 160F water to rinse. Pour this into the big pots.* Add water for a total of 5.5 gallons.* Add bittering hops and gypsum.* Bring to a boil. Boil 20 minutes.* Add malt extract. I removed from heat to add to prevent scorching.* Boil 30 more minutes, stirring.* Add Irish moss.* Boil 5 more minutes.* Add finishing hops and ascorbic acid.* Remove from heat.* Cool, using wort chiller.* Sparge (pour in a splashy manner) into fermentation bucket* Pour in the previously boiled and cooled water to make 4.5 gal.* Add dry yeast to 1 cup sanitized warm water (follow directions on package).* When wort has cooled to below 80 F, cast yeast. * Remove a hydometer-tube-full of wort for specific gravity readings.* Put airlocks on containers.* Take daily specific gravity readings.* After 5 days, drain to secondary fermenter.* When hydrometer readings don't change for 2 days, the wort is ready for bottling.* Dissolve priming sugar in 0.5 gal. boiled and cooled water. (This will bring the volume back up to about 5 gal.) Siphon or gently pour into priming tank.* Drain wort into priming tank, leaving sediment behind.* Bottle in sanitized bottles.* Wait 2+ weeks for carbonation.Notes

OG = 1.040, FG = 1.012 Alcohol = about 3.2% by volume, including the effect of dilution.I added the apricot extract to taste at bottling time. My taste said to use more than the suggest 4 oz./5 gal. The resulting beer had a nice apricot aroma, not-overpowering flavor, and rich mouthfeel (which I partially attribute to the crystal malt). The hops weren't really detectable. The 1 oz. of finishing hops could probably be skipped (I had a 2-oz. bag, so I put them in).The bittering hops should be retained as a preservative.

I'm going to bump this old thread. I am looking for a good base all grain recipe that would go good with canned pureed apricots put in the secondary

Back