random cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Total cider noob here...

Next weekend I'd like to start an apple wine and a cider.

Couple random questions:

1. Is there any way to remove pectin from juice without using pectinase? That is, can it be precipitated or filtered off? Some research has indicated that juice has enzymes in it that break down pectin into fusel alcohols, which I would like to avoid. I know that enzymes are destroyed by heating, so this may ultimately lead me to pasteurize my juice.
2. How long should cider be left on the lees?
3. Having done some research, I think I may be interested in doing a malolactic conversion on the apple wine. I understand that this should be done near the end of fermentation. At what gravity should I do this? Or does it not matter that much?

If you start with juice and not cider it will help. If you heat you may cause yourself more issues that not heating. Pectin is in all fruits, different concentrations for different fruits. Heating a juice will cause cause some of the pectin to solidify and create a haze or cloudiness. I have used pectic enzyme for years but if you don't want to use it then you may be bulk aging for a long time. Aging will remove the cloudiness but it may take awhile.

Once I rack into the secondary I then will rack every 30 days until it is crystal clear. The longest I leave anything on the lees is 6 weeks, with Lalvin D47, as it starts getting a spicy flavor. Be careful of this however as it can go from spicy to bitter very quick.

Malolactic ferm removes acid. I don't care for this personally as it removes the flavor for my taste. Kind of like drinking watered down apple juice. There are several articles on the net concerning malolactic ferm. Just read up on the yeast your using. some are not compatible with concurrent malolactic ferms.

Latest posts

Back