I keep brewing skunky beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borderx90

Reaction score
Hi, i have brewed 3 batches for beer now all different flavors, but i continue to create a very skunky hops flavored beer. The 2nd batch i realized after the fact that i put the lid on the wort after the brew and may have caused it to drip the condensation back into the wort creating the sulfur flavored brew. The other two batches i followed the directions in John Palmer's How to Brew guide, but also created a ver skunky finished product. I am not sure what i am doing wrong, any suggestions why i might be brewing up batches of skunky hops flavored beer?
Thanks

Are you exposing the beer to sunlight anytime from fermentation to drinking? I know basic question, but the first thing I think of when a beer is skunked is hops exposure to sunlight.

Yep, if it's a definitive skunk flavor/smell, that's usually a sign of exposure to direct sunlight, UV light, etc. This can happen any time from the fermentation stage in a glass carboy to using bottles that let in too much light.

Skunky beer comes from its exposure to light, or specifically a reaction between the hops and light. What kind of bottles are you using? Are you fermenting in a carboy? If so, are you keeping it in the dark?

I normally have a 5 gal plastic bucket for the first stage, a glass carboy for my 2nd stage and then bottle in brown bottles. after each step i store the beer away in a closet, but havent ever put a trash bag over it. also all the beers were lighter beers such as pale ales and some lagers. i dont think they have been exposed to too much sunlight, also what part of the brewing process should i be cafeful about not exposing the wort to sunlight.

I would say be careful through the whole process. From putting it in your primary all the way to bottling. Im not an expert as I am only on my 5th batch (and one batch of wine) since January, but I ferment mine in a bucket and have never had any problems.

Sounds like you may be fermenting too warm. Do you have a setup for lagers? Lagers need to ferment below 55 degrees generally. How are you controlling the temps?

Keep in mind that it is not just sunlight, sunlight is the worst but florecent or even incandecent light can skunk beer.

After you pitch your yeast stick the primary in a closet, basement, or a dark room. I keep mine in a storage room with the blinds sealed shut. Whether its in the primary or bottles, keep it in a dark room. How long are you aging your beer? Im a new brewer, and the batches that i had problems with were from not aging long enough, and not leaving it on the trub long enough, i was in a big hurry to get it to the secondary so i could drink it. Since learning some patience, ive been drinking good beer.

Keep in mind that it is not just sunlight, sunlight is the worst but florecent or even incandecent light can skunk beer.

Do you have information to support this claim? I have found no problems with exposing beer to fluorescent or incandescent light.

You say it's a sulphur smell? That's not skunking, that is most likely from the yeast you're using. It will fade if given enough time to condition. Skunking smells like it's namesake... a skunk. Sulphur is something completely different.

Also, as others have mentioned, I wonder what your fermentation temps are. Using a lager yeast at room temp would most likely create some pretty nasty smells.

What's your water profile? Is it highly chlorinated or does it contain sulfer? Maybe try brewing a batch with some bottled spring water and see what happens.

Back