Stout Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
Hey, I am reading that you need a special faucet for stout with a restrictor disk in it in order to pour like a Guinness... is this all the mod that is needed for a home kegerator? or do you need to go nitrogen instead of straight co2 also?
:confused:

The special faucet is if you're going to distribute with N2 instead of CO2. That's what gives Guiness Draft is specialness.

Beer gas- It's actually a mixture of the two. 25/75 percent mix normally. Carb on CO2, and then serve on the mix at about double the PSI. Cheers :tank:!

places that fill co2 should be able to fill your tank with the n2 mix. if not, they should be able to tell you where to get it.

yuo do not need a new tank or anything(if you are just running 1 beer which is a stout)

Thanks for the advice guys! Okay, so I have not got a keg setup yet, but looking stll. I am going to get 2 or even better 3 5gal setup with 2 or 3 taps respectively...

Last question on this topic... Is there a negative effect if I just keg my stout and pour normally with a normal tap and co2 like the lager and ale?

No negative effects at all....you just won't get the "cascade" and classic mouthfeel of a nitro pour.

I serve stouts on CO2 quite often- No cascade, but with a nice dark stout and proper carbonation, it gives some great head!

Got to love that foamy rich head...

I serve mine with CO2 and then use a turkey baster to give it the cascade effect.

Fill your glass like normal, then draw up about an inch of the stout into the syringe and then raise it an inch or so above the beer and spray it back in. It will give it a great cascade effect for only pennies.

I am dispensing a stout using a stout tap and CO2. It tastes great and has a great foamy head. However I am having a hard time getting a good pour that isnt all head. I have to pour it a couple of times and let the head settle.. any suggestions?

I am dispensing a stout using a stout tap and CO2. It tastes great and has a great foamy head. However I am having a hard time getting a good pour that isnt all head. I have to pour it a couple of times and let the head settle.. any suggestions?

Having a high enough pressure of CO2 to get the effect of the stout faucet will result in your beer becoming overcarb'd, and I think that is what you are experiencing. All of that carbonation comes out at the restrictor plate and that's why you get a glass of foam. This is where the nitrogen comes in. It does not carbonate the beer, but still pushes it at the required pressure.

Back