New Kegs arriving soon!, Update and apology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had a lot of questions about new 5 gallon kegs from Italy. We are still waiting on the new kegs. They come from Italy, so if we sell more than expected they take over three months to come in from the order date. We have had these on order for over three months and they were supposed to arrive yesterday. I just checked with my shipping broker and she said the ship was delayed and it is supposed to arrive today. They will then have to unload the ship, put our container on a truck and bring it to us, so it will probably be another week before we have our hands on these. Sorry for the delay. We are putting in another order now so we should not have this issue next time, but if they sell extremely fast it is always possible. We have to come up with a very large amount of money up front to pay for a container of these kegs, so we have to manage these as closely as possible or it really effects our cash flow. I am working with the vendor to get to the point where we never run out of these. My apologies again for being out of these for so long.
Thanks,
Todd

Thanks for the update, i appreciate it. I was about to call in, and check the status on them.

High quality used kegs are getting harder to find & definitely more expensive. Soon enough it will just make sense to always buy a new one - and I certainly trust these Italian ones more than the cheaper Chinese ones popping up everywhere....they're probably fine but I definitely feel better about the AEG kegs

hight doesn't really concern me, but that would be a nice offering (new pin locks) for some of us (i prefer pin since i know i will mix up the lines)

I have read on another thread here on hbt that the new Italian kegs have integrated post/poppet assemblies and that the keg gets damaged if the posts are removed? Is this true?

I have read on another thread here on hbt that the new Italian kegs have integrated post/poppet assemblies and that the keg gets damaged if the posts are removed? Is this true?

Nothing has changed on these and the Keg and keg posts are NOT damaged when you remove the posts. There are four major poppets used on kegs depending on when they were made and who made them. AEB kegs use the same threads as a Cornelius keg, but not the same poppet. They actually use a poppet that was also used on Firestone Pin Lock kegs. These poppets seat further than some of the other poppets and sometimes when you remove them you can bend the legs. This is not a problem if you are removing them to replace them, but would be if you were just taking them apart. There is really no reason to remove a poppet unless you need to replace one. The kegs can be cleaned and sanitized without removing the posts, so I don't ever remove the posts on my kegs unless there is an issue.
Todd

Nothing has changed on these and the Keg and keg posts are NOT damaged when you remove the posts. There are four major poppets used on kegs depending on when they were made and who made them. AEB kegs use the same threads as a Cornelius keg, but not the same poppet. They actually use a poppet that was also used on Firestone Pin Lock kegs. These poppets seat further than some of the other poppets and sometimes when you remove them you can bend the legs. This is not a problem if you are removing them to replace them, but would be if you were just taking them apart. There is really no reason to remove a poppet unless you need to replace one. The kegs can be cleaned and sanitized without removing the posts, so I don't ever remove the posts on my kegs unless there is an issue.
Todd

Just out of curiosity, how do you suggest cleaning a keg fully without taking off the posts? I feel this is the only way to ensure every single surface has soaked in PBW or whatever cleaning method you use.

Shake the keg with a couple gallons of pbw then soak (I will also turn keg upside down and let soak too). I use CO2 to empty the keg through the out port so every surface the beer could see is cleaned. I never remove my posts either unless to replace the poppet. Every couple of kegs I run the cleaner and sanitizer through my taps.

Just out of curiosity, how do you suggest cleaning a keg fully without taking off the posts? I feel this is the only way to ensure every single surface has soaked in PBW or whatever cleaning method you use.

I always fill the keg with the hot cleaner and then push on the poppets so the cleaning solution fills up the diptubes and comes out of the top of the post. I then put in a little extra hot water to force a little more out of the top of the posts. I then let it all soak for about an hour. This way all surfaces get cleaning solution soak for an our including the inside of the dip tubes, posts and poppets.
Thanks,
Todd

Man, I wish this thread was here a week ago.

I got my 3-keg system from y'all, and I proceeded to tear them completely down for cleaning, and to replace the o-rings. I would have done that anyways, but I actually took all the poppets out and put them in a cleaning solution along with the posts and lid.

Just swapped kegs with a buddy (didn't like a batch I oaked, and he wanted it)-- and when I took his posts apart, I broke a poppet :( I managed to get it to fit back in there "kinda ok" but the legs would just fall off the poppet once it gets removed again.

Becoming more and more interested in the AEB kegs.

I do like to fully disassemble for cleaning and sanitizing after every use. Do these kegs accept the "universal" poppets that many, including OntarioBeerKegs are selling? I have a dozen of those spare and more on the way.

Becoming more and more interested in the AEB kegs.

I do like to fully disassemble for cleaning and sanitizing after every use. Do these kegs accept the "universal" poppets that many, including OntarioBeerKegs are selling? I have a dozen of those spare and more on the way.

We carry universal poppets as well. They work with the new kegs. I like them as well, they are easy to use. I very rarely break down my kegs. The diptubes have so much surface area that I just don't see the value of removing the posts and diptubes unless you have some sort of a brush to also clean the entire inside surface area of the diptubes. I like to leave the posts on and make sure the cleaning solution gets into the diptubes and up through the poppets. I think more "stuff" collects on the inside of the long diptube than anywhere else. I like to leave it in place and completely fill the keg with cleaning solution and then open the dip tubes, cleaning solution will shoot out due to the air space in the dip tube that is suddenly being replaced by cleaning solution (the effect is much more dramatic on the long "out" diptube) Then I often run the cleaning solution throurgh my lines when I am done soaking the kegs to clean these out as well. It is best to do this with hot solution and let solution sit in the lines for at least an hour. We clean as many as 20,000 kegs a year, so it is not very practical to break each one completely down each time. Having said all of that there is nothing wrong with breaking it all the way down. I will mention this to AEB. He makes these primarily for Soda Companies and they never break the keg all the way down unless there is a failure. I have spoken to owners of Soda companies that have been using kegs for 20 or 30 years and they have never taken them apart. They still have the original poppets! Because they don't get any sunlight they last a really long time.
Todd
Todd

Todd,
I do the same thing. I'll happily was $.75 of star san and oxy clean / pbw on each keg to get my 'sterile' clean results. seems to be enough. i haver never totally broken down my kegs and have had roughly ten beers through my two originals (i suddenly have 7 kegs though)

Back