American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, cascade is really not something that you can sub and it it taste the same. However, if I didn't have cascade, I'd try centennial. Or amarillo hops. Those are citrusy, too. Maybe simcoe. I find that I really like amarillo and simcoe together- they kind of taste cascade-y that way.

I just brewed this Saturday for my first AG. I ordered 2oz of Cascade and much to my dismay, they showed up as only having 4.1 AAUs. I had to add .4oz of Nugget hops that I had to bump it up to 38IBUs.

I don't think this can hurt to much do you?

I've just tried a bottle of this recipe, which was my first go at all-grain brewing. After three weeks in the bottle, it tastes awesome! Far and away the best beer I've made, and definitely one I'll be making again.
It tastes so nice I can't believe I made it myself - thanks Edwort! :mug:

I'll be doing a batch this weekend and will sub Amarillo for the Cascades. Should turn out tastey.

PS - I prefer Amarillo over Cascade any way. I know...I know..I know...I'm a loser.

Cheers Ed - here is a glass of your Haus Ale I made.. Only thing I did different was dry hop with some Ahtanum. I had thought I had messed up the recipe but turns out I hadn't. It's delicious!

8918-edwortshausale.jpg

tgrier said:
hop leaf.

How long did you age this brew? It looks awesome.

Thanks :) ~4 weeks in secondary in 35-40 deg garage and gelatin. I had only planned 2 weeks but got busy.

Hopleaf said:
Cheers Ed - here is a glass of your Haus Ale I made.. Only thing I did different was dry hop with some Ahtanum. I had thought I had messed up the recipe but turns out I hadn't. It's delicious!

8918-edwortshausale.jpg

Looking pretty sweet! Man, I can almost taste it! Great job!

Yep,mine turns out that way every time also,Beautiful aren't they ? As for the flavor -seems to get better every batch.....guess that's why it's a haus fav.here too. Shane

Soulive said:
Centennial baby! That's what I used...

Yeah and if you try Centennial I'd like to hear how it turns out. I've been kicking around the idea of trying Centennials next time instead of Cascades just to taste the difference. Love those Centennials in Two Hearted Ale!

Smell.

I have let 4 people try this beer who really like it. They think it is a hoppier version of Fireman 4 which is a local brew around Austin.

I have an issue with the smell. There is a light smell they really really bugs me... and I think it might be the notty. ...

does notty have a unique taste/smell that I might just not like?

So wanted to love this beer.

I am going to take it to AHS and let them taste it.

Ed ... Can you meet you someplace in Austin and let you taste it?
I live right here in austin I would be happy to drive to you.

Let me know.
T

I used Notty in mine and I can't smell anything other than normal nice beer smells - although I dry-hopped with Cascades, so that might be masking any subtle aromas.

ohiodad said:
Yeah and if you try Centennial I'd like to hear how it turns out. I've been kicking around the idea of trying Centennials next time instead of Cascades just to taste the difference. Love those Centennials in Two Hearted Ale!
I used Centennial yesterday and FWH with some cascade. I'll let you know in a few months how it tuned out.

tgrier said:
Smell.

I have let 4 people try this beer who really like it. They think it is a hoppier version of Fireman 4 which is a local brew around Austin.

I have an issue with the smell. There is a light smell they really really bugs me... and I think it might be the notty. ...

does notty have a unique taste/smell that I might just not like?

So wanted to love this beer.

I am going to take it to AHS and let them taste it.

Ed ... Can you meet you someplace in Austin and let you taste it?
I live right here in austin I would be happy to drive to you.

Let me know.
T

Sure. I have a batch finally ready to tap, so we can compare. Send me a PM about it.

So I finally get to drink mine and its great. The balance makes for a very, very drinkable beer. Here is the recipe I used, slightly different. I think my favorite part is the Vienna. Kudos EdWort!

8.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (35.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.80 oz Centennial [10.30 %] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
0.35 oz Centennial [10.30 %] (30 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
0.20 oz Centennial [10.30 %] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale US-05

WOW... this beer is awesome.
I just tasted my first try at this, using the "extract with grains" recipe, and it ROCKS. Light, fruity, smells fantastic. I can tell that it would be even better if I would let it age for a few more weeks, but, we all must play our part in life, and its part is to quench thirsts at a wedding reception on Saturday, so tomorrow morning it comes out of the keg and into some bottles.

EdWort said:
Yep, just like Apfelwein. Once you keg, time to get another batch going. :D

I found that out last night. We had some people over and since everyone loved the clean drinkability & balance of this beer, I'm planning to brew it again asap. With some minor adjustments, I think I'll be making this my house ale as well. Thanks again Ed, I was looking for something I could keep on tap all the time while rotating my other tap

Ok I just took a hydrometer reading on this after fermenting for 1 week. I used Safale Us-05 dry yeast (one packet) and just got a reading of 1.006!!!
At the peak of fermentation the temp did read about 70F. After the yeast died down a bit it went back to a steady 66. Anyone know how I went so low on the gravity? I followed the recipe to the letter.
Thanks.

WOW...
I brewed the Haus Pale on 1/3/08,
I crash cooled it on 1/1008,
carbed and bottled it on 1/11/08,
and it was all consumed at a wedding reception on 1/12/08.
The beer was a whole nine days old, not as clear as I would
have liked it, not as aged as I would have liked it, but
people LOVED it.

I wanted to thank ED for letting me come out to his home today. Brought the SWMBo too...

I got to taste his brew and talk some beer talk with him. Got to tour his setup and his BBQ Egg setups... very very nice. Got to taste a bad ass Porter he had.

Ed thanks again for today and thanks for all of your insight on this forum.

T
PS. I made another 5 gal of Apfelwine at the SWMBO request today!....

rabidgerbil said:
WOW...
I brewed the Haus Pale on 1/3/08,
I crash cooled it on 1/1008,
carbed and bottled it on 1/11/08,
and it was all consumed at a wedding reception on 1/12/08.
The beer was a whole nine days old, not as clear as I would
have liked it, not as aged as I would have liked it, but
people LOVED it.

Wow, that's green too. Ya oughta try one that is 8 weeks old.

EdWort said:
Wow, that's green too. Ya oughta try one that is 8 weeks old.

I know, I was thinking the same thing. There were two friends of mine that were there that are beer geeks, not brewers, but definitely beer geeks, and they felt like there was a bit of an aftertaste to all of my beers. It could have been the elusive "extract twang" that some people insist is always there, and others feel belongs in the same category as the loch ness monster and bigfoot... or it could have just been that all four of the beers that were served were only a month or less old, so they were all still green.

I have one more wedding, in 8 weeks, that I know for certain that I am brewing for, and I was asked yesterday to brew for another wedding, but I have no idea when that one is, so I will start brewing again come Monday morning, and this time get things done a month or two ahead of time so that the beers can rest and age a little.

Your is DEFINITELY on the list of stuff to be brewed for both of those weddings.

tgrier said:
I wanted to thank ED for letting me come out to his home today. Brought the SWMBo too... .

No problem. What a great day (except for the cedar pollen). You have a nice tasty Haus Ale going, but like lots of other folks here, you need a little patience and let it age a few more weeks before drinking.

I may have to update the recipe to include starting another batch the next day just so folks get to try some properly aged Haus Ale. :mug:

Ok I just took a hydrometer reading on this after fermenting for 1 week. I used Safale Us-05 dry yeast (one packet) and just got a reading of 1.006!!!
At the peak of fermentation the temp did read about 70F. After the yeast died down a bit it went back to a steady 66. Anyone know how I went so low on the gravity? I followed the recipe to the letter.
Thanks.

I was really hoping to brew this for my first all grain, but I cannot seem to find cascades anywhere :mad:
anyone have any suggestions on either a solid replacement, or know of a place to order them??

*edit - found them at beer-wine.com, woohoo

StankAle said:

You can look forward to a nice light & crisp quaffable brew!

EdWort said:
You can look forward to a nice light & crisp quaffable brew!

Hey Ed I made this Friday but Changed the Hop additions a little I added what you have then I added .5 at 0 mins. Have you done this at all?

I just bottled this Saturday and took a little sample. It was very crisp and excellent!

I'm wondering if the crispness is due to the lower fermentation temperature I had it at (around 58F) or if it's just the recipe. Or maybe a combination of both.

Either way, I can't wait for these things to get carbonated in the bottles. Come on 3 weeks!

RICLARK said:
Hey Ed I made this Friday but Changed the Hop additions a little I added what you have then I added .5 at 0 mins. Have you done this at all?

Nope, but sounds like you will get more aroma with that last extra addition.

Just drank my hydrometer sample from the primary - pretty good!

1.010 or so, which I think means we're in business. Not bad considering it was my first AG brew and I had no idea what I was doing.

A little cloudy - probably aided by the fact that I poured in the entire goopy cold break into the primary.

I think some time in my 40-ish garage in the secondary will help clear.

blacklab said:
Just drank my hydrometer sample from the primary - pretty good!

1.010 or so, which I think means we're in business. Not bad considering it was my first AG brew and I had no idea what I was doing.

A little cloudy - probably aided by the fact that I poured in the entire goopy cold break into the primary.

I think some time in my 40-ish garage in the secondary will help clear.

You'll definitely clear up if you're gonna store it like that. I dumped everything in primary and cold crashed later on. Mine was very clear after about 10 days in the kegerator...

I brewed mine Thursday afternoon (OG 1.053) and took a gravity ready today b/c the activity had almost come to a stop and it is already at 1.012.

Probably the fastest fermentation i'v had, but is is very very cloudy still. I'll move it to a colder area Sunday and let it clear for a week and then keg it.

Chello said:
I brewed mine Thursday afternoon (OG 1.053) and took a gravity ready today b/c the activity had almost come to a stop and it is already at 1.012.

Probably the fastest fermentation i'v had, but is is very very cloudy still. I'll move it to a colder area Sunday and let it clear for a week and then keg it.

I'm almost positive mine was done in 48 hrs. Safale-05 is like the Terminator of yeast.

I followed the recipe exactly and after 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary, it is the clearest beer I have ever seen (made by me, of course). Now only 1-2 weeks more in the bottle and I will be able to try my first AG!

Jason

StankAle said:
It's OK. My batch went from 1.050 to 1.008 with Nottingham. That's 84% attenuation which is inline with what Notty can do. I am suprised that US-05 dropped out that dry though. I've always found it to attenuate a bit less then Notty and is one of the reasons I prefer US-05 over Notty. What was your SG?

Well Ed, John Seabee, Mr. Stieck, and I are having a brewtogether this weekend. On the docket is your Haus Ale. The only change will be a move to munich malt, but only because it is what I have on hand. I am looking forward to my first glass of your Haus Ale. S.

slnies said:
Well Ed, John Seabee, Mr. Stieck, and I are having a brewtogether this weekend. On the docket is your Haus Ale. The only change will be a move to munich malt, but only because it is what I have on hand. I am looking forward to my first glass of your Haus Ale. S.

Sweet! It'll still turn out great! Enjoy!

Back