Priming Question: DME vs Corn Sugar vs table sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a IIPA in the fementer right now. It has an ABV of 9.4, IBU > 100 and it's 4.5 gal. Fermentation temp is around 66-68F. I have read some differing opinions on what is best to use as a priming sugar, DME vs. corn or table sugar, and amounts to use of each. I have heard that usnig DME makes a better tasting beer, but that it can also bump up the ABV? (which I don't want to do here as I already over shot a bit, but that didn't really make sense to me). I have also seen that that isn't really true. I'm also not quite sure how much to use as I have seen some diffrent opinions there too. I like my beers to not be super carbonated, almost like a cask conditioned beer would be. I looked at the tasty brew calculator, but it didn't list IIPA as a style option to put in.
Any one out there tried both and have a preferance, and know if it will really change the ABV? And sugestions on how much to use?
Thanks.

1. The flavor difference between DME and corn sugar is negligible. I've never been able to tell.

2. Yes it will boost the ABV, that is an inescapable fact of adding sugar to a fermentation. But the difference is tiny, in the ballpark of a quarter of a percent.

3. I believe most American beers are carbonated in the 2.2 to 2.4 volume range. Tastybrew lets you input the value you want, rather than the style, so do that. To my tastes, if I prime it for 2.0, it comes out with less carbonation than I like. But maybe that's perfect for you.

Cheers!

Not to mention,that real cask conditioned ales are usually low carbonation. English ones anyway. I usually shoot for 2.3 VCO2.

Article I read on side by side comparision of DME v sugar (standard bottling I think) was that in short times (2-3 weeks) better/more carb from sugar. Long run(8weeeks+) about even. Bubble type/size was larger from sugar and smaller from DME. The mouthfeel of 3 week carbed was better with sugar, but the tester prefered the 8+ weeks with DME. However, it take a little more DME than sugar to carb (and since DME>$ than sugar, means >>$, but at like 6 or 7oz is that negligable?) and second DME created another Kerousan so you had ring around the bottle neck.

Is it worth doing? well like everything in homebrew, it depends on your point of view. Oh the test batch was sampled by several samplers, and they also used a beer that was fermented all at once, but split for bottling.

Back