Moving my fermenting beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Hello! I just finished my first batch of homebrew. It is fermenting in a closet however I believe it has gotten too cold in said area. I did watch a pretty violent process which was cool so I know it's doing its job however I don't want it to get too cold.

Are there ill effects of moving the beer to a warmer room?
Thanks!

Depends on how warm. At warmer temperatures, ale yeasts produce ester alcohols that have fruity flavors like banana and cloves. This may or may not be a characteristic you want in your beer.

Generally, moving your beer into a room in the 60's should be just fine. Some yeasts can go as high as the low 70's and warming your ale up can aid in reviving your yeast to consume diacetyl left over from the initial fermentation.

aiptasia said:
Depends on how warm. At warmer temperatures, ale yeasts produce ester alcohols that have fruity flavors like banana and cloves. This may or may not be a characteristic you want in your beer.

Generally, moving your beer into a room in the 60's should be just fine. Some yeasts can go as high as the low 70's and warming your ale up can aid in reviving your yeast to consume diacetyl left over from the initial fermentation.

The room where the beer is now is in the low 60s. The beer is the northern brewer Honey Porter kit.

pelipen said:
How cold is it, how long has it been there, and what yeast/style?

It's been in there since last Wednesday. Danstar Nottingham. Honey Porter.

I'd leave it where it is...should be fine unless it gets below 60. Got a thermometer in that closet?

NivekD said:
I'd leave it where it is...should be fine unless it gets below 60. Got a thermometer in that closet?

I'm going to put one in there soon ASAP!

It would help to know the beer temperature. You can do this easily with a stick-on fermometer, or by putting the fermenter in a big tub of water and checking the water bath temperature - either of these will be pretty close to your beer temperature. Then you can check the yeast website for recommended temperature range. One caution: Nottingham can be fermented colder than most ale yeast strains, but at low temperatures the beer will take on more of a lager flavor - probably not what you want. I usually keep it in the mid to upper 60's for an ale.

Latest posts

Back