Cloudy sediment at the bottom of my beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohshot

Reaction score
Is this normal or should I be alarmed? It's been sitting in the bottle for about 3 weeks. Thanks for any input.

ohshot said:
Is this normal or should I be alarmed? It's been sitting in the bottle for about 3 weeks. Thanks for any input.

Totally normal, your seeing the settled yeast. Once refrigerated fora few weeks it will pack down hard, pour gently to not disturb it. Unless its a wheat, then gently rouse it:)

Is this stuff bad or harmful to drink? Cause I usually drink beer out of the bottle and not used to pouring it in a glass.

No, not harmful at all, but it may/will add an extra yeasty taste to the beer.

ohshot said:
Is this stuff bad or harmful to drink? Cause I usually drink beer out of the bottle and not used to pouring it in a glass.

Won't hurt you. Just yeast.
You may not like the taste though, some don't.

Usually the proper way to serve homebrew is to gently pour the beer out of the bottle into a glass without upsetting the sediment, and then leave a small swallow size amount in the bottom as that is where all the yeast is. Dump this down the drain.
With practice you can use the shoulder of the bottle to keep the yeast in there and not your glass.
However, some people and some styles just dump it all in! Just makes a yeasty tasting beer that is a little cloudier than otherwise.

Try both ways and see what you prefer!

Alright thanks for your input guys. Helped a bunch. Cheers to my first home brew!

Rinse the bottle out with a few shakes of hot tap water before the yeasties dry up. Saves a lot of time when you have to use the bottle again.

bosco

yeast is loaded with vitamins; thiamine (B1), pyridoxine (B6) & folate (B9)

the B-Complex vitamins I used to take were made from brewers' yeast

and definitely smelled like it

Alright thanks for your input guys. Helped a bunch. Cheers to my first home brew!

definitely! CHEERS! PROST! NA ZDROWIE!

Yeah,many folks will go to the health food store & spend money on brewer's yeast capsules. Just drink one a day with the yeast stirred up & you'r good. Otherwise,I leave it at the bottom. Nas dahrovyeh!

IMO, your homebrew will taste better drinking it from a glass. Also, take care not to imbibe in too much of the dregs off the bottom of the bottle, because it can cause your digestive track fits.

Rick

Yup,def cause for a midnight run! Pouring home brew into a glass is de riguor for hb. You pour off the clear beer & leave the sediment behind. That's the biggest reason for the glass. But you also sense more aroma from the glass. Not to mention admiring the color,head,carbonation,etc.

take care not to imbibe in too much of the dregs off the bottom of the bottle, because it can cause your digestive track fits.

Rick

this is key. one bottle's worth would be beneficial, twelve might cause some distress

this is key. one bottle's worth would be beneficial, twelve might cause some distress

The other night I enjoyed 5 or 7 of my bitters, good stuff, but I think on those last 2 or 3 I may not have been as careful with my pour as you should be. Anyway, I thought the wife was going to run me out of the house once the gas set in. Damn!, ham and beans got nothin on homebrew. :drunk:

Rick

moscoeb said:
However, some people and some styles just dump it all in! Just makes a yeasty tasting beer that is a little cloudier than otherwise.

Try both ways and see what you prefer!

Some places with some brews, your bottle is opened and poured into a large glass in front of you. The last bit is poured into a second, smaller glass. Both are for drinking.

As far as the midnight runs, will that affect anyone or just those that are not used to it? (As a parallel, I've never heard anyone speak of the dangers of fiber, but it will change your GI habits if you are not accustomed to it. Cashews on the other hand are mildly poisonous an I believe will affect anyone. My dad got a 3lb can when visiting relatives one Christmas. Ate the entire thing on the 4 hour ride home. The results were not pretty.)

The other night I enjoyed 5 or 7 of my bitters, good stuff, but I think on those last 2 or 3 I may not have been as careful with my pour as you should be. Anyway, I thought the wife was going to run me out of the house once the gas set in. Damn!, ham and beans got nothin on homebrew. :drunk:

Rick

I fully understand how the quality of the pour might degrade as you approach 5 or 6

All nuts have the same effect as yeast trub if you ingest enough of them. It's the fiber & the fermentable parts sitting in your small intestine that cause the ill effects. It sits there & ferments while the fiber is greasin up the ol' slidin board...:drunk:

Well I certainly have learned more than I would have like perhaps. But who gives a hoot.

All nuts have the same effect as yeast trub if you ingest enough of them. It's the fiber & the fermentable parts sitting in your small intestine that cause the ill effects. It sits there & ferments while the fiber is greasin up the ol' slidin board...:drunk:

That's such poetry. Makes me want to eat a bag of frozen corn and have a pound of pistachios.

Back