Force carbing keg. Yes another one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarge

Reaction score
Hey all. Up to this point I have searched for all my questions and I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but I really need to double my # of posts :)

I transferred my brew to the keg at room temp. I put the keg in kegerator which is at ~43 degrees. My plan was to apply 30 PSI for 24 hours and then reduce that to 12 PSI for a week. I noticed the PSI kept dropping throughout the day. I have been adjusting it back to 30. Should I be adjusting it? Is the reason its dropping is because the brew is cooling down or absorbing the CO2? Or is possible I have a leak I can't find (I looked several times)?

Thanks.

Did you set the PSI on your regulator while your gas was hooked up to the keg? You have to make sure and set the psi gage while it is, disconnected from your keg that way you actually know it is at 30 psi.

Yes, I had the keg connected. So I need to close the valve, set PSI and then open the valve. So I probably have the PSI set way to high now. Is it possible to be overcarbed now? It has been 18 hours and I will not be home for another 5 hours.

Thanks.

Yes, I had the keg connected. So I need to close the valve, set PSI and then open the valve. So I probably have the PSI set way to high now. Is it possible to be overcarbed now? It has been 18 hours and I will not be home for another 5 hours.

Thanks.

You're probably fine. If it's dropping, it probably means you set the pressure too low, not too high.

Also, note that regs can take a day of temperature equilibration to stabilize. My regs, if moved into the fridge or into my cold mobile kegerator, will drop in pressure as they chill down, (something about how the internals of the reg works)...so don't set the reg when it's warm, then assume it will stay at that setpoint if you put it in the fridge...

Just checking on the reg once a day though, for the first few days, should be enough.

Also, turn the valve to the keg off, set reg pressure, and hit the pressure release valve on the reg a couple times, making sure the reg comes back to the same pressure reading. THEN you know it's set right, and can open the valve to the keg back up.

Thanks. I keep my regulator outside of my kegerator but I will keep that in mind when I do move it inside.

I will give your steps a try. Thanks again.

I tried the steps as you suggested. When I open the valve to the keg should my PSI stay at 30 PSI? It dropped to 24. I'm guessing it will eventually climb back to 30.

You're probably fine. If it's dropping, it probably means you set the pressure too low, not too high.

Also, note that regs can take a day of temperature equilibration to stabilize. My regs, if moved into the fridge or into my cold mobile kegerator, will drop in pressure as they chill down, (something about how the internals of the reg works)...so don't set the reg when it's warm, then assume it will stay at that setpoint if you put it in the fridge...

Just checking on the reg once a day though, for the first few days, should be enough.

Also, turn the valve to the keg off, set reg pressure, and hit the pressure release valve on the reg a couple times, making sure the reg comes back to the same pressure reading. THEN you know it's set right, and can open the valve to the keg back up.

I tried the steps as you suggested. When I open the valve to the keg should my PSI stay at 30 PSI? It dropped to 24. I'm guessing it will eventually climb back to 30.

Mine will do that too, then slowly climb up. Check it in a couple hours...no harm will come to it in a couple hours. If it's still low, shut off the valve, reset pressure, blast relief on reg a couple times to ensure you have pressure set, and try again.

I checked it this morning and it was down to 20 PSI. I shut off the valve and hit relief and it appears to be set correctly at 30. When I get home I'll check again and if its low I will check for a leak from the valve to the keg.
Some reason I felt more at ease after I bottled. :)

Mine will do that too, then slowly climb up. Check it in a couple hours...no harm will come to it in a couple hours. If it's still low, shut off the valve, reset pressure, blast relief on reg a couple times to ensure you have pressure set, and try again.

Back