Gas brewstand - need high voltage disconnect for spark wire - any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yavid

Reaction score
I am in the planning stage of building a control panel for my temp controlled natural gas brewstand. My build is based on this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gas-temperature-control-dummies-116632/

I'd like to put all of the electronics that make this system work into the control panel and then use panel mounted disconnects/plugs for all the wiring to external items (RTD's, Pumps, gas valves). I have disconnects that will work for everything except the high voltage spark wire that will run from the Honeywell intermitent pilot controls to the pilot ignitor/sensor (just like the spark plug wire on your car). Basically I want to run a wire from the pilot controls inside the enclosure to the panel mounted disconnect, then on the outside of the enclosure the spark wire would plug into the disconnect and go to the ignitor. Does anyone know of a panel mounted connector that I can use for this? Any ideas?

I looked at your drawing and I wonder if the spark output is tied directly to the spark plug. On the furnaces here at work the spark output ties to a transformer which steps up the voltage and then delivers it to the plug. Also your burner controller is powered by 24VDC and most spark plug transformers use 120VAC and step it up to a few thousand volts.

Hope this helps.

Wires are run just like the ones shown in the schematic (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gas-temperature-control-dummies-116632/). The 24V transformer connects to the Honeywell intermittent pilot control and the spark output wire goes from the pilot control to the ignitor. Stepping up to the correct voltage for the ignitor/plug is done by the pilot control module. There is no direct connection between the 24V transformer and the ignitor.

Because the ignitors are mounted on my burners and I want the intermittent pilot controls inside the control panel I need a way to "break" the spark output wires at the panel wall. If I have to I could run continuous spark wires through rubber grommets in the side of the panel but I'd prefer some sort of disconnect. Just looking for help on finding a suitable disconnect.

Would you mind sending me a pic of what you mean by stakon? If it's what I'm thinking of it's not something that I can panel mount to the enclosure. I don't think I'm understanding your suggestion.

Looks like I was thinking of the right thing after reading stakon. Those will not work for what I'm trying to do. And if I am using rubber grommets I won't need a connector at all, I'll just run a continuous wire through the grommet directly to the intermittent pilot control.

The suggestion of the rtd connector from auber is more what I'm looking for but because this is a high voltage cable I'm not sure that particular one will work. It seems awfully small and I don't think it would take much for the spark to jump. Could be wrong.

Did you find a panel mount socket for the high voltage spark? I have been looking for one also.

Back