Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about "Cheers" (Zona 10, Calle 13, just before Reforma, near the Holiday Inn).

It's a good bar, decent food, OK beer selection (for Guate anyway...they have Cabro Reserva, Moza, some Brooklyn Brewery products), pool table. Popular with gringo and guatemaltecos.

Tonight at 8PM works for me. Work for you guys?

Good. I have some Cerveza Rrosa for you to try and some EC-1118.

The EC-1118 was taken from the Braggot. It is only a small amount, but enough to proof (just to make sure it is still viable) and then step-up. If it does not proof well then I will be back through the City again this month and will bring some more and will proof first. I have a few batches of mead going so have several fermentors to draw from.

OK. Let's go for 9:00....geez you guys are keeping me up past my bed time again! :D

Hola,

I am from the US, but I have lived off and on in Guate, Xela, Pana, etc, over the past few years. I am back in the states, and I am an intermediate homebrewer. Moza is one of the few beers my wife will tolerate. Any ideas on a recipe to clone Moza here? By the way, the conversation is bringing back fond memories, and I think I might have to try making that Rosa de Jamaica beer, so thanks for that. Cheers.

Are you using extract or AG? If you're using the former, you can probably get really close with dark extract, table sugar and low alpha hops. If you're using the later, 20% corn grits, & an american bock/schwartzbier grist with 10% table sugar should also get you close; from there you'd only need to tweak it until you're satisfied.

Either way, their wort is OG 1.058, fermented for 1 week with czech lager yeast (you could probably get by using czech pilsener yeast), then cold conditioned for another week, that's why its a heavier/sweeter beer than gallo and the like.

Muchas Gracias, Pacayaforhops! I have recently moved up to all-grain, so I think I will go that route. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers!

Bienvenido a bordo, Delano!

Be sure and join our group here too: "Cerveceros CA-4".

There is also a "Moza Gold" now which is a bit lighter than Moza. Sort of like a Bock and a Double Bock respectively....although still definitely production brews.

Pacaya & Rappy, enjoyed our get together at Cheers. I will be back up to the City in about a week. I had hoped to bring along some of the Bohemian Pilsener (officially done lagering today), but I don't think it is going to last that long...man its' tasty! Next season I definitely have to upgrade to much larger batches (I'm planning to go to 15G).

Pacaya, let me know how the EC-1118 works out for you.

Pacaya & Rappy, enjoyed our get together at Cheers. I will be back up to the City in about a week. I had hoped to bring along some of the Bohemian Pilsener (officially done lagering today), but I don't think it is going to last that long...man its' tasty! Next season I definitely have to upgrade to much larger batches (I'm planning to go to 15G).

Pacaya, let me know how the EC-1118 works out for you.

So did I, though I wish I could've gotten there sooner. That's OK about the Pilsener, I'm more of an ale man myself. Absolutely, I'll let you know about the EC-1118 in a couple of months.
On an unrelated note, I just made a summer ale for the coming months:

Ginger summer ale

5 gal

1 lbs Wayne pale 6-row malt
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb crystal 10L
1 lb light brown sugar
2 lb Dcaribe LME
2.2 lb honey

0.5 oz willamette 5.5 AA% @60
2 oz Linden @ 15
2 oz Fresh ginger @ 10

Wayne Wild Brett mix Ale @ 22-24ºC

Projected OG 1.049
Projected FG 1.006 :rockin:
Projected SRM 7-9
Projected IBU 12

I'll also let you know how it comes out, hopefully even share some.

Finally got my calcium carbonate and root beer extract released by SAT. Won't do that again.

Order was shipped to Miami around Nov-1 and I just got my paws on it last week (Feb).

Value of order was only $33, but it cost me at least Q162...and maybe another Q204...invoice is not real clear and bundled with other shipments. Mostly in fees from the shipping company (CPX) to handled this BS.

Ironically, the calcium carbonate, which was the most suspicious looking item, appears to be completely untouched. If they took a sample they did an expert job of resealing it (which I seriously doubt). They did generate a stack of paperwork of course, but in the end accomplished nothing.

Now that it is Feb my brewing season is coming to an end and I won't have use for this stuff until next year.

Never had problems with any other brewing ingredients orders. Lesson learned I guess....don't ship little plastic bags full of white powder. :)

I expect if shipping with TRANSCARGO these issues won't occur. CPX tends to do things by the book.

Welcome Delano!

Well I finally got around to brewing the all grain porter, it's happily bubbling away in the fermenter. Most went well, except for the brewhouse efficiency that really sucked. Really blaming this on the sparge calculation software, will do it manually next time. Smells delish though!

Guys, get them at walmart. Q100 for 8 beers, 2 of each. The Leffes are awesome.

image-2561837241.jpg

Guys, get them at walmart. Q100 for 8 beers, 2 of each. The Leffes are awesome.

Cool. Starting to see signs of better beers in CA.

We are in Playa El Tunco, El Salvador. Just had a few at Brew Revolution - a nano-brewery here. Good stuff. Staying at hotel Mopelia. They have a good selection of imports and sell BR's brews too.

Here in nica we have just about nothing, there is a dist del caribe but they dont carry malt. im trying to get them to order some in from their other locations.

Well maybe i can smuggle some brew down for you? We are on our way to Panama and plan to spend time in Nica on the way.

Today is our last day in El Tunco. Going to San Salvador tomorrow. Brew Rev brew is also sold at a few places there.

They are filming a promotion at Brew Rev today.

ForumRunner_20130224_151804.png

Quick update on my weevil woes, they didn't die with the week long trip to my beer fridge (resilient little bastards that they are) so I had to come up with a way of getting rid of 5-6 lbs of 10L Crystal malt and 3 lbs of Vienna malt, a Märzen seemed appropriate so I just made my 1st decoction mashed beer, started at 10:45'ish AM, just wrapped up & finished cleaning right now. In case anyone's interested, it's a partial mash 2 step decoction with lots of crystal 10L malt, hopefully it won't come out too sweet, I shortened the decoction boil time to compensate for the amount of crystal I'm using (2.5 lbs in all for a 5 gal batch), in case anyone's interested in making yours (you still have almost a full month to keep it authentic), here's the recipe:

Quarantine Märzen

5 gal

2.5 lbs Vienna malt
1.5 lb munich malt
2 lb crystal 10L
3 lbs XL DME
0.5 lb caramunich malt

1.2 gallon decoction from protein rest @ 125ºF to sacharification rest @ 155ºF, then another to mash out @ 175ºF, decoctions boiled for 10 min. DO NOT USE MORE THAN 1 GALLON TAP WATER! use filtered water if you must, otherwise try to keep it as soft as you can (bottled water). You can cut down on the crystal malts and raise the Vienna/Munich content and then boil the decoctions for 30 min, that will get you more melanoidins and less sweetness.

hop schedule (try to keep it all german or use nugget as bittering hops as a last resort):

0.5 oz Perle 7.9 AA% @ 60
0.5 oz Perle 7.9 AA% @ 10
0.5 oz Hallertau Select 1.5 AA% @ flameout
Saflager S-23 @ 18-22ºC

So, now I only need to dispose of 3-4 lbs of weevil infested crystal 10L malt, the good thing is the Vienna malt hadn't been as ravaged as the 10L crystal, so I'm still expecting lots of bready taste and some melanoidins with the Munich and caramunich in there as well.

Now that you know about me, how have you guys been doing? (I'd also like to hear from the rest of the CA-4 club members, don't get me wrong it's always nice to hear from the usual guys but it's also nice to get a surprise once in a while).

for those of you who use dist. caribe malt extract. do you have any secrets on how to make the final product less sweet? It seems like there are a large amount of unfermentable sugars in there.

also, I saw on pacayaforhops earlier post, something along the lines of distcaribe LME. Does dist caribe still sell LME? Did I miss it or just not ask the right questions in broken spanish. I was told they only had one kind of malt and it is not very light.

Thanks.

By the way. I'm still getting the hang of brewing in the tropics. When I have something worth sharing. I'll want to show it off.

They've been out of DME for over a year with no ETA for more, I was lucky to score about 10 pounds when they still had it in stock, it was pretty good stuff; comparable to any big name light DME I've ever used.

As far as the LME, I run it in my recipe calculator as dark LME, SRM prediction comes out pretty accurate with that; on to the LME's residual sweetness, I've been using light brown sugar to thin the body in my beers a little, 2 pounds tops for 5.5% ABV or less, that lets you use 5 pounds of LME in stead of the 7.7 pounds in the gallon container, no detectable cidery acidic taste and adds a bit of complexity with the molasses the sugar is coated with; or you could go with plain white sugar or glucose syrup (also available at DC) if you're making a lager or light bodied ale. I usually go with the full LME container for heavier english style beers and partial mash for lagers.

In case you're interested, there's a tutorial on home malting at the CA-4 group. This would let you make pale 6-row malt which converts adjuncts better than 2-row and you could use rice flour that you can get at the supermarket for a partial mash light lager (think budweiser with a bit more character). My suggestion on ingredient bill is:

5 gal

3 pounds DC LME
3 pounds pale 6-row
2 pounds rice flour
2 pounds table sugar

mash thin 1.5+ qts/pound 20 min protein rest @ 125ºF, 6-row has more protein than 2-row, then sacharification @ 155ºF for about 1 hour, 20 min mash out @ 175ºF (make sure not to go over 180ºF, tannins are a *****; I had to learn this the hard way), no sparge then add the rest of the water, boil and add LME and sugar at the end of the boil. It should give you better hops utilization and less kettle caramelization, predicted color in my calculator is 7 SRM, which is right in there with golden lagers. Even with crappy efficiency (60%) it should get you to 1.050 OG & 1.013 FG, which puts you in Export Lager territory.

Thanks.

I am not very familar with extract brewing or the acronyms and had interpreted LME to be light malt extract rather than liquid. It looks like my options are partial mash or sugar. I've met a guatemalan who malts his own, he said he would let me help the next time he does it. If that doesn't come together I will look at the tutorial. I like to brew with odd ingredients, do you think that fresh squesed cane juice would have a similar effect as the light brown sugar? I'm willing to have a wide range of outcomes. my brews are informal to say the least.

Oh, also, thanks for the tip to add the LME at the end of the boil. Perhaps the carmelization is what I percieve as extra sweetness. For the moment, I don't have the equipment to do a partial mash. At some point I hope to.

Thanks.

I like to brew with odd ingredients, do you think that fresh squesed cane juice would have a similar effect as the light brown sugar? I'm willing to have a wide range of outcomes. my brews are informal to say the least.

It'd make the beer have a more floral/fruity taste, light brown sugar is regular table sugar dipped in molasses (kind of like fake tanned sugar), so that will give you a more pronounced caramel taste. Either one will give it more character, but depending on the style it might or might not be the right character.

Oh, also, thanks for the tip to add the LME at the end of the boil. Perhaps the carmelization is what I percieve as extra sweetness. For the moment, I don't have the equipment to do a partial mash. At some point I hope to.

All you need that you don't have yet is a grain mill and a mash paddle, comes to about Q150 (if you get a decent mill); I mash my grains in the same pot I boil the wort. For malting you'll need a bucket, some couching space and a 6'X3' length of window screen (and lots of sunlight, which we'll be getting for the next few months).

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection in Bocas del Toro last year. Looking forward to returning. Should be there in a few weeks.

Currently on Isla Ometepe in Nicaragua. Way cool place but no good beer options. Although for a production brew Tona is at least very drinkable.

Given the limited beer options, at least they have excellent rum. Now having Flor de Cana con agua de coco...yumm!

What have you been up to viso? Any new brews? I have a porter ready to bottle next week and want to brew an imperial stout the following week. The porter smells amazing!

What have you been up to viso? Any new brews? I have a porter ready to bottle next week and want to brew an imperial stout the following week. The porter smells amazing!

I have not done any batches in 2013!!!! very busy in my business!!!! but I am going to start next week with my first 2013 batch!!!! Do not know what I am going to make yet, but definitly I am going to make one!!!! Any suggestions are welcome!!!! I am still a begginer so nothing complicated please!!!!!! When are you guys organizing a new get together ¿? so I can finally meet you ¿? I would like to try your beers!!!! Hope everyone is doing Ok!!!!

For a quick turn around I'd suggest a premium bitter, I've just made a couple with DC extract and mid/low alpha hops, lots of brown sugar though, chilling the beer as gravity comes to about 1.010

5 lbs DC LME
2 lbs light brown sugar
in 5 gal water

0.5 oz 5% AA hops @60 min
0.5 oz 5% AA hops @15 min

Add the last 0.5 lbs light brown sugar after primary and let it ferment to taste, I like mine with a bit of residual sweetness.

Should still come to about 5% ABV

Or you can try a witbier if you're feeling adventurous.

4 lbs DC LME
2 lbs light pale malt
2 lbs ground raw wheat
in 5 gal water

mini-mash the grains first for 40 min @ 155*F and then proceed as with any extract brew (use wheat malt in stead of raw wheat if you want more what character).

0.5 oz 5% AA hops @60 min
0.5 oz 5% AA hops @15 min
1 oz ground coriander seed @10 min
2 oz valencia orange peel @10 min

Should come to about 4% ABV

As for getting together, let us know when it's good for you and we'll see if we can get together then, Curtis isn't due back for a few months though; but that doesn't mean the rest can't get together.

Hey guys, just arrived Puntarenas Coasta Rica from Rivas Nic. Not a long drive really but add 2 hours for border crossings and a 2 hour accident delay and Im whipped. Having a very cold "Pilsen" now...not a great beer but light and refreshing after a long day.

I will probably be back in Guate by July.

Be sure to try the craft beer in costa rica! I think there are a couple of breweries down there! Will try to get the name of the breweries!!! And lets know how well the ticos brew!!!!

Craft Brewing Co in El Tejar, Cartago!!! Hope you are able to meet those guys!

Will look that up to see if we can get by there. Our plan is to blow through CR but might stop for good beer! We want to get to Panama before Semana Santa.

We did spend some time in El Tunco, El Salvador and visited Brew Revolution there. Good stuff.

Unfortunately looks like the craft brew scene here is centered around San Jose - which makes sense, but we are currently down on the Pacific coast in El Golfito. Cool place, but no sign of craft brew yet.

On the return trip we will plan to hit the craft breweries here in CR.

In Boquete Panama now. Beautiful place. Loads of americans living here so a bit surprising there is no craft brew, or even imports. There is one gringo who makes some brew for a local resturant but thats it. Lots of folks from California living here so there are a number of wine stores but no real beer.

In Boquete Panama now. Beautiful place. Loads of americans living here so a bit surprising there is no craft brew, or even imports. There is one gringo who makes some brew for a local resturant but thats it. Lots of folks from California living here so there are a number of wine stores but no real beer.

You can try visting Bar Onplog, Casco Viejo apparently they are a micro brew bar or at least they say they sell craft beer!!! Do not know if this is true!! If you have a chance to visit them let us know if they are what they say they are!!!!

You can try visting Bar Onplog, Casco Viejo apparently they are a micro brew bar or at least they say they sell craft beer!!! Do not know if this is true!! If you have a chance to visit them let us know if they are what they say they are!!!!

Another stop to add to the return trip. We are now in David and on to Bocas tomorrow.

Back