GE 7.0 collar dimension?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuda6pak

Reaction score
Can anyone with a GE 7.0 keezer build measure the overall width and length of their collar? My freezer won't be delivered for a few days but I'd like to get a head start on the collar:D

And marker for my keezer build. Planning a dark stain for the collar and chalkboard paint on the unit :)

36 7/8 x 20 3/8. Just finished chalkboard painting mine today actually.

179667_10103103915265744_1412208478_n.jpg

Robizzle, looks good! How did you attach the collar to your freezer? A lot of people go with silicone adhesive but I'd like something a little less permanent in case I need to return the freezer to it's original state for warranty/whatever reasons.
Also, is that 2x4 or 2x6 for the collar?

I have the same keezer I made a double hing keep the hinge on the back screw it to the collar after some whether stripping is put on it , the buy some cheep hinges from wall Mart and screw those to the lid to the collar .

image-1752822531.jpg

Still piecing it together but I can lift the collar or the top . ( wrong pic it has a handle on it now and a lock

Robizzle, looks good! How did you attach the collar to your freezer? A lot of people go with silicone adhesive but I'd like something a little less permanent in case I need to return the freezer to it's original state for warranty/whatever reasons.

I went with 2x4s, which means that on the back side the hinges are only connected to the collar (not the freezer directly), but luckily the silicone adhesive seems to be plenty strong. I think it could even handle a little abuse like dragging the chest around by the collar or torqueing the lid a little while opening it, but I won't press my luck testing it.

The other nice thing about using the silicone adhesive is my collar wasn't perfectly level (one corner wanted to be a little higher than the other three -- about 5 pounds of pressure was all it took to level it out though.) The adhesive seems to be able to hold the collar flat just fine (it's been glued for about a month now.)

I did a double collar, interior collar 2 x 6, exterior collar is 1 x 8 red oak, but just the front and sides. There is weather stripping on the bottom of the 2 x 6 collar. Works like a champ, if I need to take it off it isn't an issue.

I did a double collar, interior collar 2 x 6, exterior collar is 1 x 8 red oak, but just the front and sides. There is weather stripping on the bottom of the 2 x 6 collar. Works like a champ, if I need to take it off it isn't an issue.

Any pics by chance? I assume the outer collar keeps it all in place, provided it doesn't get pushed from behind. I like this idea, I just don't trust that I can miter the outer collar with any precision at all.

I don't have a build thread but here are a couple pictures of mine in construction. It might give you some more ideas.

I built a collar out of 8" oak with an oak veneer plywood top. Framed this with 2x6s which serve as the actual collar. I designed the oak to overhand the top by 3/4" for a cleaner look.

IMG_0285.JPG

The top is insulated with 2" rigid foam and covered with aluminum tape to seal off moisture. I also cut a 3/4" lip in the foam so that it would seal into the lower bevel on the freezer lip. I did not use anything else to seal the collar and I have absolutely no moisture inside. The hinges have held up for a year and a half with no issue so far.

117.JPG

119.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

I think this is an ideal set up for 4 kegs. I have 4 ball locks on the floor as well as a 5lb CO2 tank. I use the shelf for bottle storage and basket that comes with the freezer for hops.

photo (1).jpg

Silicone IS what we use if we want something less permament in case we need to return the freezer to it's original state. You simply pop off the collar and peel off the silicone.

A couple more images showing the lid. I would guess it weighs about 40 pounds. It stays open fine on its own since the hinges on this model are pretty strong. Its also heavy enough to create a tight seal against the top of the freezer. I still plan on painting the freezer black but its hard to think of taking the beer off line and taking the thing apart to paint so it may never happen!

113.JPG

118.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

Pic of how it turned out.

photo (2).jpg

Silicone IS what we use if we want something less permament in case we need to return the freezer to it's original state. You simply pop off the collar and peel off the silicone.

I didn't know this, thanks!

Thanks for all the responses and ideas everyone!

Update:

Picked up a <1 year old GE on Craigslist for $100 and have started the process. Got it home, removed the vinyl decals and cleaned it inside and out. Then I scuffed up the outside and and put on a quick coat of Rustoleum chalkboard paint. Question for those that have used this - How did you apply the paint? I used a foam roller and it seems like there are a lot of bubbles in the paint, it is not a smooth finish at all like what I see of people's builds posted on here with the same paint. Granted it's only the first coat and I will probably do two more, but is there a better way to apply it?

I still have not decided on the collar yet. Either going to do a 1x6 in oak or poplar, or just get some cheap 2x6. I will be staining it in Red Mahogany.

As bought condition
keezer1_zpse2922a09.jpg

Vinyl decals removed, cleaned up
keezer2_zps42aa487e.jpg

First coat of Rustoleum chalkboard paint
keezer3_zps15b50356.jpg

And here is the (mostly) finished product

keezer4_zps8c967b43.jpg

I did a red oak 1x6 collar stained in red mahogany. Turned out fantastic. I ended up gluing the collar to the lid and will hinge the top to the collar. There was plenty of room with only 3 corny's to pull one out with the 4" shanks in place. I will also need to re-do the weather stripping to the lid as it turned out pretty crappy. May put a drip tray on at some point but not sure. For anyone else using chalkboard paint to this freezer, I'd highly recommend using a brush or some other roller other than foam. The can recommends a foam roller but I did not have good luck with it, a lot of bubbles up close which will interfere with the chalk and not very smooth. It looks great from a few feet away however. Cheers!

And here is the (mostly) finished product

keezer4_zps8c967b43.jpg

I did a red oak 1x6 collar stained in red mahogany. Turned out fantastic. I ended up gluing the collar to the lid and will hinge the top to the collar. There was plenty of room with only 3 corny's to pull one out with the 4" shanks in place. I will also need to re-do the weather stripping to the lid as it turned out pretty crappy. May put a drip tray on at some point but not sure. For anyone else using chalkboard paint to this freezer, I'd highly recommend using a brush or some other roller other than foam. The can recommends a foam roller but I did not have good luck with it, a lot of bubbles up close which will interfere with the chalk and not very smooth. It looks great from a few feet away however. Cheers!

I think that looks fantastic. Great work!

A couple more images showing the lid. I would guess it weighs about 40 pounds. It stays open fine on its own since the hinges on this model are pretty strong. Its also heavy enough to create a tight seal against the top of the freezer. I still plan on painting the freezer black but its hard to think of taking the beer off line and taking the thing apart to paint so it may never happen!

View attachment 104116

View attachment 104117

View attachment 104118

Pic of how it turned out.

View attachment 104119

Where did you get your hinges and what type are they?

Back