Bittering VS Aroma Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliemocho

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and actually just brewed my first batch today. I used a brewers best IPA extract kit. Unfortunately, I messed up and added 2oz of Cascade hops (which the recipe called for as aroma hops) early in the boil and later added 1oz of Cascade hops (which the recipe called for as bittering hops) at the end of the boil. Is this just going to make the beer really bitter without much of aroma or flavor?

Howdy Charlie,

Welcome to the world of homebrewing! Do not worry your beer is not ruined!

Cascade is a nice light hop, not too overpowering.. it will be slightly more bitter then the recipe called for, but it will be very drinkable.

Was there only 3 oz of hops total for the kit?

:mug:

I did the same on my first brew, was making a SNPA clone and added more hops on the 45min addition than I was supposed to turned out fine.

Awesome! That's good to hear! I've been wanting to brew for along time and I'm really excited to be finally able to do it it would really suck to F-up the first batch! Actually the recipe also called for 1oz of Columbus hops that I added mid boil.

It'll be fine.
Over bitter is easy to deal with. A little bit of time and really bitter beer gets better.
The extra aroma hops might have been nice but it won't hurt anything.
I don't think there's going to be any access bittering anyhow.

I'm new to home brewing and actually just brewed my first batch today. I used a brewers best IPA extract kit. Unfortunately, I messed up and added 2oz of Cascade hops (which the recipe called for as aroma hops) early in the boil and later added 1oz of Cascade hops (which the recipe called for as bittering hops) at the end of the boil. Is this just going to make the beer really bitter without much of aroma or flavor?

Heh.. welcome.. just joined 2 days ago myself and just brewed my first Brewers Best Kit as well (Milk Stout). :mug:

If that was the only mistake you made.. you bested me by at least 3-5 mistakes. I guess though we are in teh same boat.. let it ferment and see what we got, to late now to fix it.

Awesome! That's good to hear! I've been wanting to brew for along time and I'm really excited to be finally able to do it it would really suck to F-up the first batch! Actually the recipe also called for 1oz of Columbus hops that I added mid boil.

Very good, your beer will be fine..

Just keep it cool area between 60-70F if you can. It would be great if it was in a spot between 60-65F.. It is best not to ferment hot for all sorts of reasons, won't get all complicated on you for your first brew.

You can get a college degree in beer making by reading these forums and lots of helpful people to work with you through your questions and challenges.

:mug:

Alphas for Cascades are around 6.5%. Cascade hops are classified as an "aroma" hop. But are used quite often for bittering because they are very forgiving in bitterness. They have an unmistakeable citrus (grapefruit) aroma. I just brewed an Amber Ale and used 5 oz of Cascades in the boil and 2 oz of Cascades for dry hop. It turned out very well.

Gary

You could always go out and get another couple oz of hops and add as a dry hop. That would replace some of the lost aroma/flavor.

Either way, your beer will be just fine.

First off welcome to the forum. There are thousands of great people on here. Everyone has tons of knowledge and are willing to help anyone. I'm sure your ipa will come out great. And like stated about just go pick ya up a ounce or two of cascade leaf hops and just put them into secondary and dry hop for a week. Beer should be great with or without. Cascade isn't too bitter of a hop to begin with. Keep us updated on how it comes out. Cheers 17

beerman0001 said:
what was the AA% of the hops?

Yeah the cascades the recipe called for as bittering hops (1oz) had an Alpha of 6.2% and the cascades it called for as flavoring/aroma (2oz) had an Alpha of 5%

derbycitybrewer said:
First off welcome to the forum. There are thousands of great people on here. Everyone has tons of knowledge and are willing to help anyone. I'm sure your ipa will come out great. And like stated about just go pick ya up a ounce or two of cascade leaf hops and just put them into secondary and dry hop for a week. Beer should be great with or without. Cascade isn't too bitter of a hop to begin with. Keep us updated on how it comes out. Cheers 17

That sounds like a good idea. I think I'll do exactly that! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back