Should I or Shouldn't I?- Okra Mead Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I try it?

• Go for it! Tell me how it goes!

• Seriously? The fact that you ask makes me think you are mentally ill.

• Dammit I clicked on another CreamyGoodness thread! ~Chapp

Results are only viewable after voting.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
I love mad science. In the past I have used liter bottles to make experimental meads with varying success. Below are my wins and losses.

Espresso- FAIL
Celery- Epic WIN
Serrano and Hot Sauce- Win
Lavender- FAIL
Edit: Okra- Good Lord Fail
So, I have a new crazy idea. Okra!

Here'e the plan

1 liter water
1 lb honey
25 raisins for yeast food
10 medium okra pods, halved
1 teaspoon Di-Go breadyeast

I'm thinking the slime will actually add to mouthfeel and I'll get a nice kinda grassy flavored mead. What do you all think? :fro:

Edit: 1/6/13 Yeah... totally a stupid idea.

Don't waste the okra! Make a spicy gumbo or jambalaya instead. Holy sh*t okra mead sounds gross. Jeez CG, you must be bored...

sonofgrok said:
And on that day all beer stops getting drunk... drank... drankin... drunken... dranked.... drunked?... I give up.

I believe the word you're looking for is "consumed".

I say go for it creamy! At the very least, because you try it, I don't have to. I like okra, but I think it's best breaded & fried, maybe with a little gravy over it. It's great in gumbo too...
But in a mead?!?

I've no clue as to what the slime will do, maybe fall to the bottom, maybe develop a self-aware intelligence. But if you liked the celery mead, you might count the okra mead as a win. Good luck if you decide to try it & let us know how it turns out.
Regards, GF.

I'd say in a gallon size go for it, I mean that is the only way to truly know. Looking at others you listed, i..e celery mead as a success ?!?! I would have never though that would taste good. If that tasted good then just about anything would be a candidate for a small batch experiment imho.

I put this puppy together over the weekend.

The okra at the store were HUGE so I used seven pods quartered into spears. Right now my 1 liter vodka bottle is bubbling like mad, and I had to poke extra balloon holes. A few months from now after she clears, if I get enough +1s, I'll taste on camera. Thing is, if I think it came out well, will anyone believe me enough to try it?

For the record, SWMBO is more than skeptical.

I put this puppy together over the weekend.

The okra at the store were HUGE so I used seven pods quartered into spears. Right now my 1 liter vodka bottle is bubbling like mad, and I had to poke extra balloon holes. A few months from now after she clears, if I get enough +1s, I'll taste on camera. Thing is, if I think it cake out well, will anyone believe me enough to try it?

For the record, SWMBO is more than skeptical.

You brewed it so now you have to try it. Your face on first sip will be epic.

Creamy, you ever had one of those Aloe drinks down in Central/South America? My son-in-law had me try one and it is slimy like Okra. The drink was like trying to swallow stings of slime or as my youngest son said, strings of snot or old tobacco spit.
I didn't care for the aloe drink at all but the SIL swears it was one of his favorites growing up in southern Mexico.

Creamy, you ever had one of those Aloe drinks down in Central/South America? My son-in-law had me try one and it is slimy like Okra. The drink was like trying to swallow stings of slime or as my youngest son said, strings of snot or old tobacco spit.
I didn't care for the aloe drink at all but the SIL swears it was one of his favorites growing up in southern Mexico.

Funny you should ask! In another thread I mentioned that the aloe juice cocktail I have found in the grocery store here in Queens is delicious... but goes through me like a freight train. Hope this isnt the case with my Oh-kraaaaaaahhh!! mead.

Okra mead? Sounds delicious....why not throw some stewed tomatos and a head of lettuce in there too?!!!:ban:

So far this stuff is terrifying. I always approach it wearing goggles and carrying a sword (don't tell Airborne I own a sword), just in case.

The amount of CO2 this sucker is sending out is epic. No matter how many holes I poke in the balloon I have to poke more the next day or the balloon just gets bigger and bigger. When I let some air out of the holes, some okra slime comes with it. If I lick my finger, I get honey-flavored okra slime.

The okra spears appear to have bonded together and travel together, upright, as sort of a raft if I turn the bottle upside down. Thats concerning. Also, we have a good inch to and inch and a half of yeast schmutz at the top. The honey has fallen out of solution and is a lump at the bottom (unconcerning since JAOM-style meads seem to have no problem munching the honey pile a few millimeters at a time) and the water has taken on a greyish green color.

I'm so frigging glad you guys talked me into this!:rockin:

By the way, I see some conspicuously absent votes from the poll. I dont think the mods approve. hehehehehehehehehehe

Here it is in all its terrifying glory!

1026122046_01.jpg

1026122046a_01 (1).jpg

Back