unsure what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapper69

Reaction score
i brewed a gluten free version of ommegangs hennepin farmhouse ale and all was well until bottling time came (fermented 10 days, secondary 5 days og and fg spot on). not sure if it was the oppressive heat or the lack of sleep but i bottled without priming:drunk:! to make matters worse, despite my best intentions and use of a super fine mesh cloth double wrapped, there is about a 1/4 inch of sediment in the bottom of each bottle.:mad: suggestions as to what to do? the sediment thing is persistent and making me mad, as you can tell from my emoticon above, what does everyone else do to prevent it from occuring:confused:? thanks

There are a number of things you can do to minimize sediment. First, let you beer sit longer in the fermentor (secondary if you use one). This will give the yeast and other particles time to settle to the bottom of the fermentor. Second, you could cold crash your fermentor. The cold will hasten the settling of yeast and particles. Third, examine you racking technique. When you rack to your bottling bucket do you move you fermentor and then siphon from it? If this is the case you should let the fermentor sit for a day or so in case you stirred up any sediment. I usually do all three of these and have minimal sediment in my beers. There are exceptions, as weissbiers and wits have low flocculating yeast and the yeast sediment is to style.

I would open the bottles and add sugar or carb tabs. To reduce sediment either cold crash, use finings, or wait longer. Or any combination of the three.

There's probably nothing you can do about the sediment in the bottles right now, without risking oxidation of the beer, so let it settle well and pour carefully. I agree with the suggestion of using a glucose tab in each bottle at this point too, for the sake of accuracy, but damn, those things are expensive, at least the Cooper's ones they sell around here.

As others have said, there's nothing you can really do about the sediment now.

As for carbonation, I'd use these: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/munton-s-carb-tabs.html

I specifically suggest those over the Cooper's drops, as the Muntons allow you more control over how much you add. Given that this is a saison, you want slightly higher carbonation than a standard ale, so you can control that better with the Muntons.

Back