keg shopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHUTH23

Reaction score
Found some ball lock kegs on craigslist. This would be my first keg, what do i need to look for when i see them to make sure its going to work for me?

They should definitely hold pressure. Also shouldn't have any deep gashes or missing rubber ... Dents are ok, so long as they aren't too large or keep it from standing upright ... How's the price?

They are like $35 online plus shipping but guaranteed to hold pressure and some come with a second set of o-rings.

Sorry, I buy pin locks and that is the price for reconditioned pin locks.

He said he would do 40 bucks. And i wont have a way to see if it holds pressure

Put a little water in the keg, then drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets and seal the keg. Wait a few, then run some soapy water over the seals.

Cpt_Kirks said:
Put a little water in the keg, then drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets and seal the keg. Wait a few, then run some soapy water over the seals.

Good tip. Thanks.

evandena said:
Good tip. Thanks.

You could also just take your cylinder with you too. I do this so I'm positive it'll pressurize. The seltzer can take a while to pressure up and if there is a big enough leak you won't see bubbles because the gas has already leaked out as fast as its generated.

How soon are you looking/need kegs? Maybe we could split shipping from somewhere?

There's a place in MI that has them regularly for 40...

(but I'm about a month away from funding)

#1. First thing is pull the relief valve. If it hisses, you know it was sealed and will hold pressure. IF it doesn't hiss, you'll need to test it for pressure. It could be busted or it might just be bad seals.

#2. See if there is liquid inside, if so, dump it -- take a smell and make sure it isn't chemicals, gas, or anything else stupid that people might store in kegs. Inspect the inside. There should be no rust, deep scratches, or strange discoloring inside. Check the welds at the top of the inside. They should be smooth and rust-free. If there is, pass on it or get it for dirt cheap if you want to try to save it. Also look for grime or egg casings inside if it wasn't properly sealed. For $40-$50 bucks you should get a squeaky clean keg. If it isn't and it'll require some labor to get it clean, ask for a lower price.

#3. Inspect posts and lid seals. Cracked rubber usually means a tear-down and full gasket replacement. While not really a big deal, it's still labor and money. If it requires a tear down and gaskets, I'd probably ask $30 for it.

Even if I can get a perfect keg, I always do a tear down and seal replacement just for good measure. I also run a snake through the spear and bake it in the oven to kill any nasties that might be living up there out of sight. If you get grime, a hot Oxy-Clean soak usually does the job. If not, a carboy brush will get the rest. Put it back together, I even teflon all threads for good measure, and sanitize and it's ready to go!

I'm having a huge problem with kegs I buy online sealing with their crazy high shipping PSI, but not even close to sealing at 10 psi. Make sure you check it at a low PSI.

When you do replace the o-rings make sure you use Keg lube or a food grade lubricant. It will help the seal and has actually been my main remedy if a keg isn't holding a seal.

evandena said:
I'm having a huge problem with kegs I buy online sealing with their crazy high shipping PSI, but not even close to sealing at 10 psi. Make sure you check it at a low PSI.

Keg lube works wonders.

How soon are you looking/need kegs? Maybe we could split shipping from somewhere?

There's a place in MI that has them regularly for 40...

(but I'm about a month away from funding)

I decided to get them from the local brew store. Talked to the yesterday. They are getting some recons in for 40

Is that with new seals and all? Wish I had the money to get one this weekend for my songs birthday party and whip up some rootbeer! Lol (is that the lhbs by your work?)

Yeah its in Northfield called leeners. You have to contact them to get your name on a list.

Latest posts

Back